Daytona Classes

Yesterday I had a long talk with Steve, actually, both Steves, Baker ask me what it would take to get me back interested in doing these races. Of course there are several answers, the one pertaining to this is simple. Get the program back to one engine platform, just like it was for all those years when Animal was consistently the largest class in Road Racing. History shows it works.
Which engine that is doesn't really matter to me, if its Pro Gas, I'm ok with that, they all build basically the same, just get everyone going in the same direction, not five different ones.
I admit, I really wasn't following this until someone called and asked me to read it and comment. Now after thinking about it for a day, the questions I have really aren't about the engine itself ,but more about how did this get to this point. If you were around during the days back then, it took a full year of talking it out, right here, then a big push to get Limited accepted as a class in RR'ing. Cloan and I believe LO both had to go through a 1 year period of being a Local option only class, yet the combining of alky and gas class Animals suddenly just appears in a press release without any real discussion, going through the Comp committee, any local option process and it seems from here, I can't really find anyone that really proposed the idea.
WKA is a member owned org, with a decades old process in place that things like this are suppose to go through, other classes or changes have had to go through that process. Until someone official answers those questions, I guess it makes me question the whole deal even more.
How good or bad any series is, is directly related to the political forces driving it, this just plain doesn't look good.

Is there any reason why at Daytona ---the biggest event ----- we have a animal house meeting with the official and the committee and hash these things out ?

See Ya at Daytona !!!!!

Peewee MGM Fab

Maybe we can gather a collection and the total sum of money goes to any one driver who manages to punt every Gas Pro out of the Animal race...

Just...Kidding? Or did I solve the problem? ;)

Dave E.

Animal Pro Gas - Baker standard price for this engine is $895.00 and we currently are running a fall sale at $795.00 good till Dec 15th. Why such a cost difference? First of all our WKA Animal Alky engines are $1350.00 not $1500.00. The primary difference in the cost for the Pro Gas is time to build. The WKA Animal Pro Gas Spec #705 specifications have eliminated the time it takes to install the camshaft for best performance and all the alky carb modifications. Also no need to bore the block and install the oversize piston because only a standard bore is legal. The other factor for our shop is the arrangement of our tools and equipment for efficiency and reduced time to build. When we developed our $895.00 selling price it was based on the profit level we need to be viable business and what was fair for our customers, not what we felt the market would bare and what’s the most profit we could make! We are not part of the race engine building cartel!
Thanks to Briggs & Stratton for supplying us an engine that has parts with high quality and minimal part to part dimensional variation. This helps to reduce build time when you pretty much know what the parts are going to measure when building these engines. I think you would be surprised how easy these engines are to build,its almost like second nature in our shop.

We have enjoyed taking calls from other engine builders over the past few months and explaining to them how to build this engine and welcome all the questions you have for us!

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve ! Didn't know only Std bore was allowed, that saves a bunch right there.

Dave.

Dave E.

Here is more detail on Pro Gas engine building. I just listed the only allowable modifications from stock per WKA #705 tech specs. Any other modifications are not legal.

Labor:
Hone cylinder bore
Hone Small & Big ends of Connecting rod bores
Mill block deck surface + .005 max piston pop up
Mill cylinder head gasket surface – ( .011 / .319 )
Shorten valve length if needed for correct final valve lift
Install any size main jet
Adjust float settings with position tabs

Parts:
Billet rod ( not required per spec )
WKA Pro Gas camshaft
Aftermarket single coil valve springs
Fuel Pump & pulse fitting
Valve cover vent fitting
Head gasket
Carb linkage kit

PeeWee, if you have something to add, please add it here now. I know from calls that how this works out will effect some peoples decision on weather to go. Waiting for a decision if there was a meeting at the race, is too late for some people

Hey Bob And. SteveK

As I sit here

I wonder why u guys are so bleeping against change

Mr . Bob I do very much respect what you think -- I wish I was as smart as you are

As for SteveK. He is --------------

See ya at Daytona

And for SteveK If you beat the MGM house kart , I will pay your entry fee

I respect some one that has built this series but a whinny baby !!!!!

Peewee, I wouldn't put much stock in SteveK's childish threats. He won't find many good ole southern boys to do his dirty work. Furthermore, all of the racers I've talked with plan to run Animal alky and Pro Gas separately...not combined with the weight break.

Joe

These guys aren't against change peewee...they just don't want to see the classes mixed. Im sure they are all game for letting a the pro gas be its own class. Me personally full support the new class...just not combined into the alky animals this amount of time before daytona. Id like to see it be a local option just like the mods did, the lo206, and the clones. I even think it took the clones more than a year because it was heavily supported at daytona and roebling but thats it. Test the waters with the class by itself for a year and see where it goes. That year will provide a good numbers average and times comparison between alky and pro gas. Along with any reliability issues that come with a new class. Its a great platform for a great class just need to test the waters for a year and see where it ends up. Best of luck at daytona boys

Mike Stroik

PeeWee, I'm no smarter then anyone else, I have been around for a while, which sometimes may help. Maybe my best quality is questioning everything, I look for "what could go wrong here" then try to fix it before it does
TO me.the smart people are those that change the world. I quit HS in the 10 grade to go racing.
and in my lifetime, I've made hundreds of dollars

What does Nascar do when they want to change the rules for Daytona? They test the change at Talladega so they know what to expect when they get to Florida.

I'll just say that the only time another kart passed me in the Daytona infield was when I had 60lbs of ballast misplaced in the kart and rock hard Dunlops.

Speed costs money, and the Coyote is priced accordingly.

So to continue my Nascar comparison, If the intention was to have this equivalency platform for 2014, and with the position that Gas Pro is the greatest thing since we all ran flatheads...

Someone should have had the foresight to trial a Gas Pro on an Enduro kart last season, somewhere, for a comparison. Run them back to back on the same go kart. Right now there is no hard data to say this will not work in the favor of one or the other.

Instead, these rules were clearly thrown together with insufficient time and testing to have a clear understanding of the ramifications. Sort of like United SportsCars found out this week, funnily enough at Daytona. Fortunately we are not in a position to worry about vehicles flipping or flying, but as it stands a generous portion of the potential competitor pool is at odds with this decision, and this is a series where every entry is meaningful.

Steve, looking over this, appears to me that a majority of the forum active RR people have checked in on this, Unless things have changed, I think we can assume that WKA will not respond on forums. I know their normal chain of command method of communication would be to contact the area trustee. For me that always was a problem because often while I did know my rep, he was almost always a 2 cy, sprint, M Cup person so my answer always was, "Bob, I know nothing about Briggs and I know nothing about NRRS". The most practical method would be to contact the 4 cy rep of the Comp Committee. Seeing how that person is our own Capt Jack, and he already stated it didn't go through his group, seems clear that if you want answers or are looking to get a change, someone has to call Van. Can't be me because I'm not a current member, only because we haven't done any WKA races last year

thinking running this race in my home built clone. how many clone racers will be at this daytona and can i race both days. would be good can i hear from you what gear ratio to have please

Back