Daytona dirt track questions

dirt guy

Going to DAYTONA for first time ever! What size is the dirt track for WKA dirt nationals? Looking for any pointers that would help a first timer. Running the open class. Am hearing 1 inch of stagger in rear and 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 up front. Where i race at we are in the 3lb ish for air, is that pretty close for there? Running a 150 liquid cooled 2 stroke, gearing would also be awesome!

That is pretty standard .
My impression was its kind of a gravel based surface .
Hopefully someone with better knowledge chims in .

Its a limerock, coquina shell type surface, basically road base surface. Completely different and its a 1/4 mile track, shaped just like a school or college running track, based off the old stadium races.
Air will depend on how good or bad track is when we get there, never know about Daytona with the variables, rain, high or low tide, sun or cloudy, when does track get prepared, etc.

Its a limerock, coquina shell type surface, basically road base surface. Completely different and its a 1/4 mile track, shaped just like a school or college running track, based off the old stadium races.
Air will depend on how good or bad track is when we get there, never know about Daytona with the variables, rain, high or low tide, sun or cloudy, when does track get prepared, etc.
So true

Terry Odom is doing the track. He did it last year and the track record was broke in practice. If the weather is good it will be ripping.

Terry Odom is doing the track. He did it last year and the track record was broke in practice. If the weather is good it will be ripping.
Yes i was there, and just because someone says they broke records in practice on FB dont mean it actually happened.
And they dont actually get to "do the track" until like the day or 2 before Kartweek opens. Halifax Paving i believe is the company who grades and waters the track up until the point of Terry being able to do so.

I tell everyone I help " Practice don't pay squat " it would be easier to have fastest kart in Practice, just have a set of tires wiped up with Earl's secret sauce more than anyone else does .

Daytona is just different.
Coquina (think #53 driveway material) compacted. Not what I would consider a dirt track at all - certainly not clay like Volusia.
IF you're going to Daytona, you likely already have tires worked to cover a wide variety of conditions. I've seen it where it was cold and damp and took a goat tire and I've also seen it grind off tires. It can even matter when you are in the running order.
With an open, I'd say you're close with staggers @ 1 1/2" front 1" - 1 1/4" rear depending on what you like. I'd be on higher air than that, but the key will be how much (and when) the track bites up.

🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yes i was there, and just because someone says they broke records in practice on FB dont mean it actually happened.
And they dont actually get to "do the track" until like the day or 2 before Kartweek opens. Halifax Paving i believe is the company who grades and waters the track up until the point of Terry being able to do so.
I’m just saying Terry is good at what he does and I have seen the difference since he started working the track. Last year everyone went with prepped up tires and that won’t the case.

I tell everyone I help " Practice don't pay squat " it would be easier to have fastest kart in Practice, just have a set of tires wiped up with Earl's secret sauce more than anyone else does .
Practice don’t pay squat but when the track is faster than it’s ever been in practice that means something.

I’m just saying Terry is good at what he does and I have seen the difference since he started working the track. Last year everyone went with prepped up tires and that won’t the case.
Last year there was more harsh chemicals being used, and softer tires, than had been in yrs at that place, besides the year that it rained.
We won there and i was quite a bit softer and with harsher chemicals than i had been in a while, and we have won about every year we have raced together there. Once again excluding the rain year.
I am in no way bashing on Terry, just stating facts.

Went there! Got my tire stuff from Earl at SoCo. Thank you, it was spot on. The track was a handful on day one. But when day was done not too bad. Day 2 was quite a bit better, track got grip and my ride got even better. Was able to qualify and run with the big boys and girls! What Castshop had told me about track was exact. Got to shake hands with Evan Seay and Shay Chavous. TSracing had what i needed.
Got to see the smoke from the fire on the big track.. Not sure what it was. Mr. Hill had one sweet ass looking ride. There were a lot of 'em!
I also would like to thank Hoppy for the gear suggestion. And to Juan Grino for some good base line numbers.
Daytona was AWESOME!!!!!!

The red prep used to be the ticket at the Stadium; Moon had the best mix, but there were plenty of variations... I'm surprised no one has mentioned that.

Rough and beat out is an understatement! !!! Racing at 2am on Friday and the conditions the track got to on Saturday imo is another nail in the coffin for We Keep All

In their defense ( and I in no way like or promote the WKA crooks) but we got a bunch of rain the week of and even all of Fridays races were cancelled. The track was a muddy mess! For what it turned out to be by Saturday was a miracle. The track was coming apart pretty bad and was unusually rough, glad we didn't obtain a second mortgage just to race there again this year!

In their defense ( and I in no way like or promote the WKA crooks) but we got a bunch of rain the week of and even all of Fridays races were cancelled. The track was a muddy mess! For what it turned out to be by Saturday was a miracle. The track was coming apart pretty bad and was unusually rough, glad we didn't obtain a second mortgage just to race there again this year!
Agree 100% … it’s a shame we spend that much $$$ to race Daytona and that’s what we get to race on, they should have had a better plan for rain instead of combining 3 days into 2.. for sure my last ride there

The track has been much worst in the past, ive personally raced there when we had huge holes in the track and they had to put out cones for us to go around, and then lets not forget how rough it got at the stadium.
The bad part this year was keeping us there all day before saying it wasnt raceable, then trying to get it done in 2 days, making for very long race days.
Daytona is different, its once a year, and we all know its expensive, very expensive.

Back