Daytona Kartweek

Load-in day at the big track. Weather looks sunny and perfect all week. 65 CIK/LO206's registered! Going to be wild going into the first turn.

It was a wild first turn as 9 karts came together on the backstretch and brought out the red flag. Accidents were common.

Sounds like fun, but a little crazy!!! To be expected in that class.
What weight did they run. In the CIK 206 Heavy class at? 420 or 435? Just curious if it might really start to grow.
Good luck today and have fun!
Clark.

Last edited by a moderator:
420 was the heavy class. Very large turnout overall. Not sure how many were in the 206 class on Wednesday but it seemed close to 100. All garages were sold out. A few network transponder issues but it was resolved quickly.

Thanks Tim. The NRRC voted to drop the "CIK 206 Sprint Heavy" weight from 435 to 420 at Daytona and see what happened. 435 was a bit too high. We were hoping to grow the heavy class and it may have worked. Even at 420, that's 45 pounds higher then the normal CIK 206 Sprint class at 375.
Any thoughts by other CIK 206 Sprint racers on this forum in regards to the weight in the Heavy class?
Thanks for the info folks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Yeah, a bit of a kerfluffle on the CIK/LO206 Heavy class for us. We heard about a possible weight change but wasn't sure what the change was. Went to tech to ask, they sent us to registration who sent us back to tech. Finally registration agreed it was 390 after looking in the manual. 3 of us ran at 390lbs and got dq'ed at the scales. (Throws hands up in the air)

Yeah, a bit of a kerfluffle on the CIK/LO206 Heavy class for us. We heard about a possible weight change but wasn't sure what the change was. Went to tech to ask, they sent us to registration who sent us back to tech. Finally registration agreed it was 390 after looking in the manual. 3 of us ran at 390lbs and got dq'ed at the scales. (Throws hands up in the air)
That should of made for a long conversation with tech !!

Did you guys run the big block in open sprint? I didn’t make it this year. Planning on Savannah.
Yeah bro. Ran the alcohol big block AND a Honda crf450r kart. MyChron 5 tells us well over 100mph. Had a few little issues but nothing insurmountable. It was waaay fun hearing them on the backstretch. Moved past the non-shifter two-cycles too.
Took home first and second place

Sorry Tim, I suppose somebody should have followed up better. Sorry I wasn't there to help with the mess.
Do you recall who told you 390? Somehow the NRRC decision to drop the weight to 420 never got past along.
Clark.

Sorry Tim, I suppose somebody should have followed up better. Sorry I wasn't there to help with the mess.
Do you recall who told you 390? Somehow the NRRC decision to drop the weight to 420 never got past along.
Clark.
Not sure of the persons name. Several of my drivers went to registration and spoke with the people there. They referred to the manual and told my drivers it was 390lbs. I guess registration was looking at the SPRINT LO206 390 class and not the CIK/LO206 Heavy class. The good news is we all weighed out at 390 sigh......

Very likely that's how they came up with 390...."LO206 Sprint". I did send a note to the rest of the committee that we need to be sure to let folks know ASAP when there's a weight change...even in a Local Option class.
Take care, stay safe,
Clark.

Yeah bro. Ran the alcohol big block AND a Honda crf450r kart. MyChron 5 tells us well over 100mph. Had a few little issues but nothing insurmountable. It was waaay fun hearing them on the backstretch. Moved past the non-shifter two-cycles too.
Took home first and second place
As a side note, in the past we had problems with the alcohol big block engine internals giving up and breaking at about 7000 rpm. We took seven teeth out of the rear sprocket and had zero engine issues. Lap times were about 5 seconds faster and we never touched to two back up engines all week. Damn, that thing pulled hard out of the turns!
The Honda crf450r engine had fuel starvation issues at the end of the long straights at 7200 rpm. If I had the time and thought of it I should have dropped teeth on the rear sprocket to decrease the max rpm to address the issue since I brought no extra carb jets. All in all a good day for this engine considering it's the first time it has been road raced in anger. So much fun to HEAR the big 4 cycle closing down on the two strokes. Thump, thump, thump!

20201230_174119.jpg

Few pix

Attachments

• 20201229_165148.jpg
    20201229_165148.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201229_073805.jpg
    20201229_073805.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201228_093507.jpg
    20201228_093507.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 31