Daytona Kartweek

My buddy and I won the CIK LO206 heavy class and were DQ'd for weight an hour later. We thought it was 390 as well. Scales didn't know the weight, tech didn't know the weight, wasn't until I ran across Robby Harper later that he confirmed it to be 420.

Again I apologize for not making sure the word got out!! One of those last minute changes which just simply slipped through the cracks. Knowing 435 was too much, we did that rushed change to help grow the CIK 206's as a whole. It would have been nice if we let everybody know!!!! Sorry.

That being said, going forward....what was the opinion of the weight? I'm only referring to "CIK 206 Sprint HEAVY". As you folks know, it was originally 435, which most felt was too heavy. For Daytona, the NRRC decided to drop it to 420 and see what folks thought.

So, question... Back to 435 Pounds? 420 OK? 410 better? Keeping in mind the regular CIK 206 Sprint class is 375.
Thoughts?

Thanks, have a great 2021, stay safe..
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Again I apologize for not making sure the word got out!! One of those last minute changes which just simply slipped through the cracks. Knowing 435 was too much, we did that rushed change to help grow the CIK 206's as a whole. It would have been nice if we let everybody know!!!! Sorry.

That being said, going forward....what was the opinion of the weight? I'm only referring to "CIK 206 Sprint HEAVY". As you folks know, it was originally 435, which most felt was too heavy. For Daytona, the NRRC decided to drop it to 420 and see what folks thought.

So, question... Back to 435 Pounds? 420 OK? 410 better? Keeping in mind the regular CIK 206 Sprint class is 375.
Thoughts?

Thanks, have a great 2021, stay safe..
Clark Gaynor Sr.
I feel that +25 over the next lower class would be appropriate. That would be 400# or maybe 410. Don't want to get it too low that the skinny's can easily add weight to run the class. A little guy with a bunch of lead has an advantage over a bigger guy even if they weigh the same. Anything heavier should be a 'super heavy' or 'Sumo' class in my opinion.

I agree with Mr Legend. 400 or 410 is acceptable. The class will grow when the big boys realize there is a class for them.

I agree with Mr Legend. 400 or 410 is acceptable. The class will grow when the big boys realize there is a class for them.
I also agree with Legend. Here are some rough figures to consider: A 230 driver will have to put on roughly 20-25lbs of weight to reach 420 which means a 200 lb driver will have to put on approx. 50 lbs. In the world of karting a 200 lb. driver is large and to require a large driver to put on 50 lbs. seems excessive and probably not that safe. If WKA wants a truly competitive class with significant kart counts, they need to be in the 400-410 range. To go any higher moves this class into the realm of "sumo" or novelty class in my opinion. To go any lower will be too tempting for small drivers to strap on 60-70+ lbs on the kart and I don't think that is safe. Perhaps a minimum body weight rule could be useful? CMac

Hey folks, the Woodbridge Kart Club is going to try something with the CIK LO206 Sprint class in 2021.

Leave the normal class alone at 375. Add 400 AND 425 as Local Option classes. Eliminate 435 all together.

Run 375 and 425 in the same race group. Run 400 in a different race group to allow both the 375 and 425 folks to enter the second class.

We'll see how it goes. My best guess would be that the 400 pound class may become nearly as big as the normal 375 class.

That's it, stay safe...
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Clark,
With respect to the CIK/LO206 Road Race class, are 6-inch wide rear tires currently legal or is it just the 7-inch wide?

Yes, the change is in one of the Tech Updates which never got into the new tech manual.
You can check the WKA website. It's TM Update 2020-004, on Aug. 11, 2020. Ref. para: 362.7
It helped by allowing most org's rules to be legal in WKA road racing. But it only applies to road racing.

Back