Detection of Ceramic bearings in the block

Yes, but only if both are ceramic

Not true ... doesn't matter if one, or both, are ceramic ... the test is still valid.

On any ceramic bearing the ceramic balls will insulate the center steel retainer cage, from both the inner and outer races of the bearing .... there will be no conductivity from the steel retainer cage through the ceramic balls to either the inner or outer race of the bearing, or any other part of the engine .... doesn't matter if the bearing(s) is attached to the crankshaft ... doesn't matter if the crankshaft is in or out of the block ... and doesn't matter if one, or both, of the bearings are ceramic.

Last edited:
Ceramic bearings do no have any effect on the finish of a kart race.
Tires do.
That statement, however true it may be, is still pretty irrelevant to a tech man. If there is a rule against something, it must be enforced. Some rules are not put in place to save racers from being outrun; some rules are put in place to keep racers from spending themselves into oblivion.

Oil will conduct electricity, all depends on the impurities in the oil, with a engine being raced there will be metal flakes in the oil which will conduct electricity...
Some people say water and electricity don't mix but they do...
It is the impurities in the water that do not mix with electricity...
Example...ever see the helicopters washing the insulators on power lines with a power washer? Using water...void of all impurities of course...

... ever see the helicopters washing the insulators on power lines with a power washer? Using water...void of all impurities of course...

Yep, and have you ever noticed what material most of those insulators on power line are made from ?? ... ceramic :)

Really what do you think happens on the one that is not ceramic .....

Really ... actually it is totally irrelevant what happens on the one that is not ceramic.

... It is making contact with both the block and the crank so if you check the non ceramic one the current will still travel through the block and crank and on the other end and give you a false reading. If the side cover is still on.

Nope, your premise is flawed ... at the risk of being redundant let me try again to explain. On a ceramic bearing the steel retainer cage only contacts the ceramic balls ... the retainer cage is totally insulated from both the inner and outer races of the bearing by the ceramic balls. When probing a ceramic bearing, there will be no conductivity between the STEEL RETAINER CAGE and anything ... doesn't matter whether the bearing is on or off the crank ... doesn't matter what type bearing is on the other end of the crank ... doesn't matter whether the crank is in or out of the block ... doesn't matter whether the side cover is on or off.

A meggerohm meter will do this. I have one if you want to bring some bearing by and try it out on them.

Ben Braun

I think I need to draw you a circuit diagram. Contact race on ceramic bearing, current travels through the race to the block, on the other end travels from the block to the race, to the balls, to the crank and through the crank back to the inner race on the other bearing. Unless you have completely ceramic balls and races. Get it now?

I think you need to draw yourself a diagram ... you are the one demonstrating a lack of comprehension ... I understand it completely.

We are not checking for continuity between the inner and outer races. We are checking for continuity between either of the races and the steel RETAINER CAGE ....again on a ceramic bearing there will be no continuity (conductivity) between the steel RETAINER CAGE and either of the races ... If the balls are ceramic the RETAINER CAGE will be insulated from either (both) of the races.

Now here's a diagram for you ....

bearing2.jpg

See the yellow star ... that is the RETAINER CAGE.

See the orange stars ... those are the inner and outer races.

Now, once again ... on a ceramic bearing if you probe between the yellow star (retainer cage) and EITHER of the orange stars (inner or outer race) there will be no continuity (conductivity) .. doesn't matter whether the bearing is on or off the crank ... doesn't matter what type bearing is on the other end of the crank ... doesn't matter whether the crank is in or out of the block ... doesn't matter whether the side cover is on or off.

Get it now ??

Last edited:
wish I was home id be checking this right now. somebody has ceramic bearings that they could check.
Not that I doubt ya stoney just something to try and see, as I do understand the path/ or lack thereof.
ya miss some stuff by using the recent post section. Nice picture, Stoney

Keep this in mind..

Presently AKRA is not changing or making new rules..
BUT we are working on better ways to test things pretaining to present rules..
We are working hard to allow people to know what a rule means and hopefully take questions out of the equation..
If we find a better way to test something we will,, if you spent your money on it cause we in the past didn't have a good method to test it.. Then shame on you :)

Also do not associate one part with another.. The bearing itself is to be checked and if need be completely removed if the initial test is inconclusive...

Jerry Dover
AKRA Steering Committee Chairman

If I was a savvy racer who wanted to use ceramics, I'd put ONE ferrous ball in there and leave the rest ceramic, thereby rendering your test useless. I wouldn't be concerned about the vibrations and other issues that would cause, because I'd be operating on the assumption that I HAD to have ceramics to beat the cheaters who are winning and it couldn't possibly be my chassis, driving or tires that were the limiting factor...where there's a will to cheat, there's a way...shoot, you could even solder some ground strap wires to the inner race to brush the outer races and leave the bearings all ceramic....

Hmmm.....thinking about cheating and how to do it is kinda' fun......which is why I run OPEN where you can think up and do whatever you want!! That's where the tinkerers belong.

i would say if you did a resistance test with an ohm meter you will still get the same resistance reading because of rod connected to crankshaft and rings touching cylinder wall causing continuity from crank to block. continuity takes the path of least resistance which would be the path through crankshaft, rod, piston, rings to block. i would be interested in results of someone testing both ceramic and steel bearings as this is just electrical theory. i would do it but see no need for ceramic bearings at local track so i don't use them.

So can you use ceramic bearings in the block on a JR2 clone engine? What would be the advantages of using ceramic bearings if you did, or were able to use them? Can anyone tell that we are new to this? lol

Back