Determining Track Conditions on Dirt

Pops90

I have some questions about how to determine the condition of the track:

It seems easy to tell when a track is very dry or very damp/wet. However, what are some signs that tell you the moisture level in the track as it begins drying out from practice through to the feature races? Do you typically estimate it just by looking at the dirt, or feeling it or something else?

I've heard people talk about using a screwdriver & sticking it into the track to determine softness/hardness of the track. Is this a pretty reliable method to figure out how hard your tires should be?

I've seen the same track create loose dirt/marbles some nights, and then other nights there doesn't seem to be hardly any loose dirt anywhere except the very outside. Is this related to moisture content of the dirt, or something else?

As dew falls on the track, what is the best way to account for the change in conditions? I typically use Track Tac products for what it is worth, but I haven't figured out how to keep up with the track when we get a lot of dew.

Are there any specific things you can/should do if the track starts coming apart and has some holes in it? Seems that the track is typically dry when this occurs, but I don't know if that is always true or not.

Thanks for the help

I have some questions about how to determine the condition of the track:

It seems easy to tell when a track is very dry or very damp/wet. However, what are some signs that tell you the moisture level in the track as it begins drying out from practice through to the feature races? Do you typically estimate it just by looking at the dirt, or feeling it or something else? Yes mostly look, how much it marbles off, lap times.

I've heard people talk about using a screwdriver & sticking it into the track to determine softness/hardness of the track. Is this a pretty reliable method to figure out how hard your tires should be? In my opinion NO.

I've seen the same track create loose dirt/marbles some nights, and then other nights there doesn't seem to be hardly any loose dirt anywhere except the very outside. Is this related to moisture content of the dirt, or something else? Marbles don't always mean dry for a while they have moisture yet.

As dew falls on the track, what is the best way to account for the change in conditions? I typically use Track Tac products for what it is worth, but I haven't figured out how to keep up with the track when we get a lot of dew. 1 more wipe and little less air.

Are there any specific things you can/should do if the track starts coming apart and has some holes in it? Seems that the track is typically dry when this occurs, but I don't know if that is always true or not. Stop prepping little higher air.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the information racing promoter.

What would you say is a good way to figure out how hard the track is? Usually I go and push on it with my thumb and guess, but honestly I don't know what a track that needs a tire punching 55 feels like vs. one that needs a tire around 45, etc...

So a track with some moisture will produce some marbles, and then produce more and more marbles as it dries out?

If it's solid under your foot and dry it's hard, just hardness does not dictate duro, grip plays a bigger part of that.

Yes when marbles first start there is still moisture the forces of the tires start to peel fines off the track surface, as it dries it will get worse and go dusty.

Pay attention more to amount of grip in track with the amount of moisture, also how abrasive the material make up is, the more abrasive the more it will work the tires.

Pay attention more to amount of grip in track with the amount of moisture, also how abrasive the material make up is, the more abrasive the more it will work the tires.
One more question: is there anything special or different when it comes to indoor races? Thanks for all of the advice.

Indoor dirt , i expect less moisture , break up sooner , low grip and abrasive or non abrasive area dependent. Likley a little rougher .

Back