Dial Bore Indicator Recommendations

I don't think you can get inside Mic's a inexpensive as some of the dial bore guages now.
the name brand set is right at $100, the one I listed was half that price. Probably from China. As far as buying precision tools made in China? I think I'll pass on that idea. Not that everything from Chinese bad, but precision and cheap is an oxymoron.

Gotta go with the dial bore gauge and a GOOD micrometer. You will take all day measuring a bore with snap gauges to see if you have taper top to bottom or out of round front to back and top to bottom. I can do it in 30-40 seconds with the dial bore gauge.

^ There you go. My vote is for the dial bore gauge as well.
I use a Sunnen every day in the shop.
I've got both Mitutoyo and Fowler dial bore gauges that were relatively inexpensive and they are pretty decent for the price. I'd likely recommend one of those to the DIYer.

Brian Carlson

Gotta go with the dial bore gauge and a GOOD micrometer. You will take all day measuring a bore with snap gauges to see if you have taper top to bottom or out of round front to back and top to bottom. I can do it in 30-40 seconds with the dial bore gauge.

that is the advantage right there!!!

"Precisely"! ('Ferrari' stuff...)

Don,
Didn't mean to offend you. My reference to the Mitutoyo was just as I wrote: that it is "relatively inexpensive." Relative to the Sunnen and higher end dial bore gauges. The Mitutoyo that I have cost about $400, (less than half of my Sunnen gauge.) I call that "relatively inexpensive." I think the Fowler was about $100 or so when I bought it -- if you want 'really inexpensive", that would be the better choice I suppose.
I think it does a real good job for the price and would be adequate for the DIYer.

Don,
Didn't mean to offend you. My reference to the Mitutoyo was just as I wrote: that it is "relatively inexpensive." Relative to the Sunnen and higher end dial bore gauges. The Mitutoyo that I have cost about $400, (less than half of my Sunnen gauge.) I call that "relatively inexpensive." I think the Fowler was about $100 or so when I bought it -- if you want 'really inexpensive", that would be the better choice I suppose.
I think it does a real good job for the price and would be adequate for the DIYer.
My 'WAG' on the 'Sunnen' wasn't too far off I guess....huh? :)

Back