difference between "micro" & "mini" sprints?

Micros use an engine that's offset to the left, just in front of the cockpit, typically protruding a little into the drivers' leg area, but the drivers' legs are straight out like a typical car. Most are 600cc, and use 10" rims, chain drive on left of driver.

Minis have upright driver position like a sprint car (imagine sitting in a straightbacked wooden chair...) with the engine directly in front of the driver and chain drive on right. 13" tires. Same general size and layout as a midget. More typically 750 or 1000/1200cc

Micros are 250-270cc, minis are 600 and up. Minis and micros the engines hang off the left, micros are almost outside the cage. That's the way most tracks( around here) will classify them. Hyperracing is about the leader in parts and such.

micro vs. mini is a description of layout difference, not displacement. Therefore, you could have a micro that's a 270, 600, 1000, or 1200. They would all have the engine offset to the left, with driver's legs "straight" ahead. A mini would have the driver seated upright with inline engine, and could have a displacement of 600, 1000, or 1200 (never seen a 270 mini.) Many tracks, having little knowledge of the actual difference, use the terms interchangeably, but that doesn't make it accurate or right. Another key difference is rim diameter -- if it's a micro, it's a 10" diameter wheel like a 4-wheeler....Minis have 13" wheels. As far as driveline differences, both can have a direct chain drive to the rear axle, but micros have that chain on the left side outside cockpit, and minis often have it more internal. Some also use a driveshaft to a quickchange, almost like a mini midget setup.....speaking of which, in some places micros are called "micro midgets" (midwest) and the NMMA (National Micro Midget Assn.) is now defunct but used to hold a Nationals with several notable winners.

Hope that clears things up. And I wish tracks would bother to use accurate descriptions so it was more clear where each car was legal.

Micro 600s are becoming far more dominant than Mini Sprints as seen at the recent Tulsa Shootout. Over a thousand entrants at the event with less than 50 that were not Micro 600s.

Not debating just stating.

DK

There are no timing records on the website. I went to Mylaps and it wasn't recorded there either.

Seeing that the track is rather small (1/5 to 1/4 mile) I would think times are similar.

Ted, are you getting your Bailey together?

DK

Don -- My local track closed, so the Bailey's on its' way to PA for a happy new owner to use. I am selling a 270 for someone too, that's headed to PA as well. I'll have a lot more room in my garage shortly, and no more debt. I guess that means I'll stand a shot at actually making some UAS racing this year...lol. If I can sling paint on a couple more helmets for profit I may even be able to afford new tires...

It's a shame -- I've gotten the car all buttoned up nicely and was looking forward to running it. However, I can convert the UAS kart to a winged outlaw, and that will probably be my "sprint car" experience once I find a suitable KX500 or CR500.

Too bad you didn't get a chance to race the Bailey. 600 Micros are a hoot.

Up in Aztec, NM they had a strong following of QRC Outlaw karts. They ripped. Wheelies were not uncommon.

Best wishes in your adventures whatever you end up racing.

Dk

I think....

IMHO I think this is just want they are called in your geographic region..... kinda like the debate on "cage karts" aka "outlaw karts" etc....they are called differently in different parts of the country.

Micro 600s are becoming far more dominant than Mini Sprints as seen at the recent Tulsa Shootout. Over a thousand entrants at the event with less than 50 that were not Micro 600s.

Not debating just stating.

DK

That's because the 1200 cc mini sprint class has a 13 y/o age min......all the other classes are either 8 y/o (rest A) or 12 y/o

1294 races at Shootout this year. Additional day added for 2016. Micro 600s are growing nationwide by leaps and bounds with 13 year old drivers, both in the stock classes as well as the outlaw classes. Clone racers and UAS racers need to take notice......HORSEPOWER & OPEN WHEEL RACING RULES. ALL others are just for children.

JMHO,
DK

open class outlaw karts, on the tracks I have seen them both on on the same night, are just as quick, sometimes a notch quicker. Tons of fun to be had. We left "flat karts" a long time ago. This will make our tenth season in outlaw karts. We climbed the ladder from restricted to open. People need to look at outlaws and micros. It is WAY more affordable than most kart guys realize, I think

open class outlaw karts, on the tracks I have seen them both on on the same night, are just as quick, sometimes a notch quicker. Tons of fun to be had. We left "flat karts" a long time ago. This will make our tenth season in outlaw karts. We climbed the ladder from restricted to open. People need to look at outlaws and micros. It is WAY more affordable than most kart guys realize, I think

It is affordable until you wad one up lol 2000 for a pair of good adjustable shocks is rediculous imo! Sold my 270 before anything like that happened and depending on where you run you can burn a lr and RR off of it in a heat race! psitons, 150 rr 140 shocks 2g's adds up fast! 3-5 gallons of alcohol on a short race every time you hit the track adds up too! Karts are way cheaper even with tire prepping! (they do that in micros too! ALOT)

outlaw karts is what I was talking about. Just as speedy as the micros on the tracks we have shared with but MUCH less expensive, and we dont prep tires at all. maybe other guys do, we do not. Open class are fast, light, small so tow vehicles can be realistic. ... lots of bang for the buck

outlaw karts is what I was talking about. Just as speedy as the micros on the tracks we have shared with but MUCH less expensive, and we dont prep tires at all. maybe other guys do, we do not. Open class are fast, light, small so tow vehicles can be realistic. ... lots of bang for the buck

Yes I have an engine left over from my Microsprint that we might stick on a outlaw chassis and see how it goes. Not sure I am gonna drive it though! I have a good wheelman for that!

Back