difference between...

kent33kracing

Tried to search hi and low before posting... but does anyone know the difference between a lo206 and a briggs animal 206 "crate engine"?...one would assume their the same thing...look the exact same cept for the decal on the starter recoil. Believe both have the same ignition color etc etc....

The Animal has a blue coil with unlimited rpms, the LO 206 has a green coil limited to 6100 rpms.
The LO 206 comes with a fuel pump and a pull start.
The Animal does not come with a fuel pump or pull start.
The Piston pop up is controlled much more closely on a LO 206 and will usually be between zero and .005" pop up
The Animal engine does not have the pop up controlled as closely and the piston may actually be in the hole a few thousandths.
All the tech items are checked on a LO 206 and you get an inspection sheet with each LO 206 verifying their legality.
There is no inspection sheet with the Animal
The Animal is a great engine to build into a blueprinted methanol burning race engine or a modified open engine.
The LO 206 can also be built into a blueprinted methanol burning race engine but you will have to change the coil and discard the recoil starter.
Both are great engines just some subtle differences.

The Animal has a blue coil with unlimited rpms, the LO 206 has a green coil limited to 6100 rpms.
The LO 206 comes with a fuel pump and a pull start.
The Animal does not come with a fuel pump or pull start.
The Piston pop up is controlled much more closely on a LO 206 and will usually be between zero and .005" pop up
The Animal engine does not have the pop up controlled as closely and the piston may actually be in the hole a few thousandths.
All the tech items are checked on a LO 206 and you get an inspection sheet with each LO 206 verifying their legality.
There is no inspection sheet with the Animal
The Animal is a great engine to build into a blueprinted methanol burning race engine or a modified open engine.
The LO 206 can also be built into a blueprinted methanol burning race engine but you will have to change the coil and discard the recoil starter.
Both are great engines just some subtle differences.

Okay so sifting thru all that a local option 206 and a briggs 206 crate engine are the same thing...becuz they both have pull ropes and a fuel pump already mounted...ohh and a spec sheet too...gotcha

I think guys are getting lost in the nomenclature.

Kent, where did you see the lo206 sold as a "briggs animal 206 crate engine"??

From the website, this is what Briggs calls them:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines-racing/racing-engines/karting

Like Jimbo said, Animals and LO206s are very similar...

I have seen guys running "open" animals with pull ropes and Briggs fuel pumps, as well. No idea if they came from the factory that way or not, though. The real difference is in the seals and green coil. If you have those from the factory, it is definitely an LO206.

Last edited:
I think guys are getting lost in the nomenclature.

Kent, where did you see the lo206 sold as a "briggs animal 206 crate engine"??

From the website, this is what Briggs calls them:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines-racing/racing-engines/karting

Like Jimbo said, Animals and LO206s are very similar...

I have seen guys running "open" animals with pull ropes and Briggs fuel pumps, as well. No idea if they came from the factory that way or not, though. The real difference is in the seals and green coil. If you have those from the factory, it is definitely an LO206.

Yeah they have holographic seals and a fuel pump mounted on top... I was just wondering about the local option wording on the pull rope whereas mine say briggs & stratton 206 crate engine on the bottom of the sticker...If I can find a way to post a pic on this particular thread... I will show you what I mean.

i can't say i've ever seen a pull start rope on animal ever, i wouldn't want to try pull start an animal either, i like my shoulders

206 crate is same as LO206. For some reason they just use a different sticker on the recoil starter. Both locked with green coil.

must be i didn't pay attention to the stickers... my motor showed up with seals on it... i smiled, installed it, pulled the cord and been smiling ever sense....

Same here. I didn't even look til the original poster messaged me a picture of his. And then I looked atone and they were the same.

i can't say i've ever seen a pull start rope on animal ever, i wouldn't want to try pull start an animal either, i like my shoulders
At one time I built a lot of engines for guys with the pull rope on them. Dyno will grind any of their stock cams with the compression release on it. Some of the high lift cams you can still put it on but it must have stock sized base circle.

Same here as Jamie.
Built lots of engines with the compression release on the cam and a pull start.

Back