Differential!!!!

Bstarge

Anyone tell me why karts don't have a differential? Is it too expensive to make? I believe it would pay for itself. Think about tires, they would last a heck of a lot long if the back wheels can spin separately and would most likely handle a much better. I believe a Torsen differential could possibly work. Anyone have any thoughts? why is hasn't been done? Just wondering. I might try building one for fun. Also it would eliminated the need for the front c brackets to be angled.

In quarter midgets, they use a ratcheting hub on the right rear that locks up under acceleration and free spins thru the corners. I was told that type setup was not legal in karts though.

We used a torsen on our Formula SAE car... It would work fine, but would add weight and complexity to something best left simple, IMO. And I don't think you'd see improvements in tire wear or handling -- the tires are run at the traction limit (scrub) either way, and the extra rear weight may be hard to overcome for handling... It would be more effective on an asphalt kart, I think, but they also generate so much grip that the inside tire is effectively unloaded anyhow, so.....

Interesting thoughts all! I only run asphalt sprint tracks (should have specified since most on here seem to do dirt ovals). I know it wouldn't be legal, but I was going to try it as a fun side project. Ted I have heard Formula SAE's run a torsen differential in fact you can pick them up for around $300 new. With a little bit of fabrication I could adapt it to a kart. I still feel like it would help improve handling by relieving some of the rear inside tire scrub that you have to fight on all turns. Just want everyone's thoughts? Do you feel it would improve cornering on asphalt sprints? Not worried about legal racing just a fun project.

One more thought..If I put on a rear differential I would also be cutting off the front C brackets and welding them back on parrallel to the frame. I don't think the lift on the front wheels would be needed since that is used to lift some of the weight of the back inside wheel while cornering. What do you all think?

Back