Digatron DT 32k1 CHT temp reading

plepper

I recently got a DT 32k1 and after hooking it up to my GX 200 the tach works perfectly but the temp reading is 875 no matter what I do. Ive tried running the engine up to operating temp, using a heat gun pointed at the spark plug connection with no change in indicated reading. it also reads 875 when it powers up after going thru test mode. I tried resetting the max to 420 but nothing changed. I tried a search here and turned up nothing. The unit was tested in late April by Digatron and checked out ok with a new temp lead. Any thoughts?

if the temp lead has open up it will show --- if the temp lead is shorted out it may read almost anything....is this unit the older style with pig tails or is it the newer DT32 with bnc type connections?

The older style units had a large brass ring under the plug to measure temp(its a resistive type circuit, the newer units have a ring about the size of a thin washer under the plug ,its actually a thermocouple type measurement.

First off thanks for the help! It reads 875 with the lead disconnected and the unit on. It is the old style unit with pigtails and the brass ring. One thing I noticed is thr brass ring is filed flat in one area I assume for clearance and the black coating in the middle of the ring (looks kinda like a sandwich) is gone. is there any test that I can do? something with a multimeter or something short of sending it back to Digatron? The lead was new in April the invoice from Digatron says it was part # CH60RRF-A replaces SS-102

If the lead was new in April how did the black insulator get off and also how the brass get filed down? If you put the cht lead on unit and turn it on with out the motor being run it should read ambient temp of what ever its touching or the air if its not touching anything. I would put the brass ring in a cup of hot water and turn instrument on and see what it reads.. If you have the instrument on and it reads the same on cht with a lead on as it does without lead conncected it most likely means the lead is bad ,do as above to check lead.

I will try the hot water and see what happens, my concern is why is the unit reading 875 with or without a lead connected. Is this what is normally displayed when no lead is attached?

with no lead attached it could read almost anything on the old DT30's as it is reading infinity resistance. take a paper clip(or wire) and insert it into the end of the cht pigtail and touch the other end of paper clip to the outer side of the pigtail just outside of pigtail(shorting it out) and see if the reading changes. Don't leave it on for a long time just touch it and let it off. It sounds like you have a bad lead....

I talked to Dan at Digatron today and he said basically the same thing he suggested using a multi meter and said it should read 500 + or - ohms I'll give it a try as soon as I wind down a little from work.

Back