Digital Measuring Wheel.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
digetal feet.jpg

Any track can afford one of these, no excuses.

I took one to a track once just to prove what the track really measured. A Mychron 5 will do that now. I a m with Al---for $40 it would be kind of fun to have in the trailer--you might win a bet or two with it.

View attachment 9216

Any track can afford one of these, no excuses.
Why should a track use one, or have to use one? It isnt telling you anything a serious racer needs to know to win a race at any track. Never ever talked with any Professional kart racer who cared about an exact measurement of a track.
Now if someone wants to measure, have at it, but as for having to have a measurement...disagree. Dont need it for winning.

When we were going on the road a lot ,we used one of those. Just trying to get as accurate data possible and thinking out side the box to gain an advantage.

Why should a track use one, or have to use one? It isnt telling you anything a serious racer needs to know to win a race at any track. Never ever talked with any Professional kart racer who cared about an exact measurement of a track.
Now if someone wants to measure, have at it, but as for having to have a measurement...disagree. Dont need it for winning.
This^^^^^
Have no need to measure, even before the 5's, we used our tach for gearing, and from there all we adjusted was tires.
In 22 years I only saw 1 man measure a track, he didnt care but he produced a monthly paper call Kentucky Karting news, and added the info in his track reports

Got two tracks we run. One is 1/3 mile and the other is 1/6 mile. Very close to those numbers on a “5”. Same gear at both tracks at the same RPM. Where does a track me need to have one? It’s about the line and how much speed the track can hold. Not the size.

Got two tracks we run. One is 1/3 mile and the other is 1/6 mile. Very close to those numbers on a “5”. Same gear at both tracks at the same RPM. Where does a track me need to have one? It’s about the line and how much speed the track can hold. Not the size.
Curious which engine package, and which gearing combo your using to see this ?

I have one , but I use it for other stuff . But I did measure the track I am leasing , J4S'ts and giggles .

250cc tag 4-cycle called an oral 250. 14-74. 12700 RPM rev limiter. Just bump it at the end of the straight. Tracks are Ben hur in Indiana and stateline in Ohio.

FWIW: I think it's safe to say that Ben Hur isn't a true 1/3 mile in the racing line (especially when you gear it like most 1/4 mile tracks)...and Stateline is considerably bigger than a 1/6th, I would guess a small 1/4.

Ben Hur has LONG straights and is egg shaped - Stateline is a big ol' momentum circle.
Stateline typically bites up considerably more than Ben Hur too (especially for big shows.)

Not saying that your gearing is incorrect at either track, we would gear stockers similarly at both venues as well.

Not saying how much of a difference it would make, but your 1/3 and 1/6 measurements cannot be 100 % accurate.

Ok I can go with Brian on track sizes but what I was getting at is the size is one factor. How the track flows and the speed you carry make more difference with the gear.

Bigger consideration to me is the rpm drops. Ben Hur can be pretty big in 3 & 4 (tight end of the track), where Stateline is all momentum - if you drop more than 300 rpm, you've got some work to do.

Back