Dirt kart set up.

Noobe.

Hey there I’m completely new to the karting world and need a little guidance. I have a CRG t1 I want to take dirt oval racing. Trying to figure out to figure out what my tire set up should be. The track is wheel to wheel raceway in Victorville ca. it’s a 1/8 7* banked oval. Any suggestions tips tricks all info is welcomed. Again I am new be gentle 😉

First youre going to probably need 6 inch diameter tires and wheels for some ground clearance. What tires are allowed there? What engine and class do you plan on running?
Ive only ever seen one sprint type kart on dirt and the guy was amazingly fast with a high hp 2 stroke motor and was on rain tires at this indoor track.

Wrong kart for oval racing, will be at a disadvantage to purpose built oval
Wrong kart for oval racing, will be at a disadvantage to purpose built oval chassis
I have seen a couple sprint type karts there running up front. That’s why I purchased this one was a killer deal I couldn’t pass up. Of course I want to win put figured I can get my feet wet with this one and learn a few things. Thank you for the reply tho. Do you run dirt oval’s?
First youre going to probably need 6 inch diameter tires and wheels for some ground clearance. What tires are allowed there? What engine and class do you plan on running?
Ive only ever seen one sprint type kart on dirt and the guy was amazingly fast with a high hp 2 stroke motor and was on rain tires at this indoor track.
From what I’ve gathered 11-5.5x6 front 12-9.00x6 rear’s. My kart has a Pitts 125 2 stroke. There is a 2 stroke class and I have seen sprint style kart’s running there put don’t think they are regulars because I haven’t got to see them again so I can pick their brains.

I have seen a couple sprint type karts there running up front. That’s why I purchased this one was a killer deal I couldn’t pass up. Of course I want to win put figured I can get my feet wet with this one and learn a few things. Thank you for the reply tho. Do you run dirt oval’s?

From what I’ve gathered 11-5.5x6 front 12-9.00x6 rear’s. My kart has a Pitts 125 2 stroke. There is a 2 stroke class and I have seen sprint style kart’s running there put don’t think they are regulars because I haven’t got to see them again so I can pick their brains.
Nothing but dirt ovals for the last 24 years in karting, and 40 years in full scale.
You could of spent the same or a little more and bought a kart for dirt oval racing, there's a reason there's a difference in the 2 karts

Nothing but dirt ovals for the last 24 years in karting, and 40 years in full scale.
You could of spent the same or a little more and bought a kart for dirt oval racing, there's a reason there's a difference in the 2 karts
Yeah I get that and I was looking for something specifically for dirt but couldn’t find anything cheap enough. Here in SoCal it’s not as popular most run asphalt. I have seen them at my local track so I know it can be done. Just need a little guidance/ help to get pointed in the right direction.

run a class heavier than the total weight of you and the kart and bolt lead to the left side of the seat as low as you can until your at the correct weight. you will probably need to get hubs for the American bolt pattern and get as big a tire as you can get to fit the right sides. if you can't get the wheels to fit run as soft a tire as you can. try to get an inch or more of rear stagger with the bigger tire on the right. go at it as best you can and have fun. best advise I can give you is find the others running sprint karts and ask what their doing to make it work. good luck

We raced for many years, using straight rail chassis, for both dirt and asphalt.
Had success on both on the same weekend with only minor changes.

Most of the experience here is based on limited horsepower 4 stroke momentum based racing.

Again, my experience is on stock flathead from years ago.
From memory, if I have any.
Start out with a basic lefty/right setup, using tire sizes normal for that chassis.
Rain tires/ treads may be best until you get some seat time.
Tire pressures, start at 6 right. 5 left. Move the front wheels in as close to steering arms as you can.
Narrow rear similarly.

Go get some seat time.
Have fun, know you may be in the way, but learn all you can with what you have.

Last edited:
run a class heavier than the total weight of you and the kart and bolt lead to the left side of the seat as low as you can until your at the correct weight. you will probably need to get hubs for the American bolt pattern and get as big a tire as you can get to fit the right sides. if you can't get the wheels to fit run as soft a tire as you can. try to get an inch or more of rear stagger with the bigger tire on the right. go at it as best you can and have fun. best advise I can give you is find the others running sprint karts and ask what their doing to make it work. good luck

When I started racing karts the first one was an Emmick straight rail with a 2 stroke on it. Knowing NOTHING about karts the first thing I did was put big right sides, a 6 inch LR and 5 inch LF, just because everyone else did. Bad choice, the kart would not turn. Put the 5 inch back on the RF and it was much better.

When I started racing karts the first one was an Emmick straight rail with a 2 stroke on it. Knowing NOTHING about karts the first thing I did was put big right sides, a 6 inch LR and 5 inch LF, just because everyone else did. Bad choice, the kart would not turn. Put the 5 inch back on the RF and it was much better.
Thank you for the reply I will keep that in mind 🤝

We raced for many years, using straight rail chassis, for both dirt and asphalt.
Had success on both on the same weekend with only minor changes.

Most of the experience here is based on limited horsepower 4 stroke momentum based racing.

Again, my experience is on stock flathead from years ago.
From memory, if I have any.
Start out with a basic lefty/right setup, using tire sizes normal for that chassis.
Rain tires/ treads may be best until you get some seat time.
Tire pressures, start at 6 right. 5 left. Move the front wheels in as close to steering arms as you can.
Narrow rear similarly.

Go get some seat time.
Have fun, know you may be in the way, but learn all you can with what you have.
Thanks for the advice 🤝 that’s what it’s all about right having fun.

Thank for the info 🤝.

At a competitive track that kart will be lapped every time you hit the track. I remember one year a bunch of guys came from Canada to race their sprint karts at the Thunder in GA, biggest kart race in the World back then. They had to put them all together on their own class. Very slow compared to offset chassis.

Back