Dirt oval racing Animal engine

steve baker

Just a question.....are the dirt oval racers really even looking at the Animal again now? I thought everything was running smooth with the clone engine program ? We don't build clones, haven't for about 5 years now so i'm not up on all the Dirt oval clone racing stuff. Not that we don't want to build the clone engine, we are just so busy with the other engine applications we just can't fit the clone into our schedule.

Steve

Last edited:
Before all this pandemic crap started we had about 7-8 guys ready to run animal all year. The people who dont like the clone dont like the 206 and its for the same reason. It doesnt sound good enough or its not fast enough. No bp clone beat me, came close but they are still slower than an animal.

Well at the tracks we run there are 3 top builders i have seen... I will go in order of normal finish... Saylor racing engines, baker racing engines, then kart city... But all engines depend on setup and driver... You can have the fastest engine out there but setup/driver puts you in the rear... Btw we run a lot of nw ohio tracks

Well at the tracks we run there are 3 top builders i have seen... I will go in order of normal finish... Saylor racing engines, baker racing engines, then kart city... But all engines depend on setup and driver... You can have the fastest engine out there but setup/driver puts you in the rear... Btw we run a lot of nw ohio tracks
I’m surprised BRE is in that mix , we only build a hand full of animals for dirt racing.
I’d love to know how many new Animal blue coil engines Briggs and Stratton sells a year.

There is a very stout sr champ running a bre and he is always top 3... But like i said setup and driver are the key to a top runner

Moon, ksr, xcaliber were always the three big ones at my local track. Our track had a yearly king of the animals race that now sadly is a clone race. When the thunder tour showed up we had the king of the animals and the series races in one night. I believe we had about 40-50 animals across 6 classes. Some guys doubled up on classes but still. Flatheads sound cool but to have a pack of 20 animals go past is just insane. The sound inside the helmet is like music to me. I love it and want that to come back.

I’m surprised BRE is in that mix , we only build a hand full of animals for dirt racing.
I’d love to know how many new Animal blue coil engines Briggs and Stratton sells a year.

I can't speak for other builders, Steve, but we are using new LO206 engines and purchasing the 12,000 coil. That way I am getting a deck that likely doesn't need cut, getting the fuel pump, and recoil starter (along with the 6100 coil, I rob for my 206 inventory.) I am guessing that new animal builds are few across the country, but there are still lots of rebuilds...I know we sure a lot. I suspect that Briggs numbers for new animal engines are down considerably.

The champ karts are where most of ours end up. From jr1 - adult. We built 4 new ones between January and the end of February (before this virus halted everything,) and probably half dozen rebuilds (including 2 new customers.) That amount of brand new animal builds surprised even me. I would say that the animals are making a comeback on dirt ovals...but then again, so are flatheads (and limited and open flatheads.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back