Dirt Track Preparation

Bob Evans

Administrator
I don't expect to get a lot of posts or threads in this forum. Prepping a track, from my past experience, is usually a close guarded secret among individuals.
However, I believe it could become an area that contains some valuable information, if anyone participates.

Dirt oval first it's a must to be smooth, then it's all about learning what your working with you always need a lot of moisture usually Double what one would think, then it's all about learning the timing of running it in and what you run it in with, MOST use old pickups & SUV's in most cases the wider and smoother the tires the better, re-misting it after vehicle run in and finishing it off with Karts gives best end results, then once you start with practice keep moving the classes up and back down establishing a wide enough racing groove, there is plenty of more info hopefully this is some GENERAL INFO to get the ball rolling and start some questions. Then for DAY racing there is the whole calcium application which I'll go over later.

While i don't know anything about current procedures or techniques i'm glad we no longer soak tracks with used motor oil and waste products like was common in the past.

I've been working "mid-west" basement dirt for about 10 years now. My normal prep goes like this: 800 gallons of water, turn the track over about 3" deep, more water, more turning over. When I can scrape the track with my shoe and it has moisture as far down as I can dig I start wheel packing and dragging the track with a baseball drag. Water, wheel pack and drag until you have a smooth, hard packed surface. Add more water as needed.

I will add 1/2 gallon of cheap laundry soap per 400 gallons of water, helps the water penetrate better on real hot days.

1fasttiller when did Marion County go back to dirt. Was dirt in the 80's,went to asphalt around 93-94 I moved 98 and it was asphalt then. Chuck.

1fasttiller when did Marion County go back to dirt. Was dirt in the 80's,went to asphalt around 93-94 I moved 98 and it was asphalt then. Chuck.
Not sure, I know the track has a lot of history. I moved here in 2017 and it was dirt, about all I can tell ya. It is an incredible track and facility just lacking the proper track prep and maintenance to make it top level IMO...

Owners and promoters love it wet and slick, afraid it will get too fast if they sealed it or let it get a groove.

I always liked running in track with karts. I know not a popular idea, but my son learned how to hold a loose kart that way. When Volusia started prepping the track with sealer it gpt instantly fast, so fast the promoter stopped everthing called a meeting to decide what to do! it was alearning curve for a while.

I always liked running in track with karts. I know not a popular idea, but my son learned how to hold a loose kart that way. When Volusia started prepping the track with sealer it gpt instantly fast, so fast the promoter stopped everthing called a meeting to decide what to do! it was alearning curve for a while.
I'm not a fan of running it in with karts. Ive also heard that it is hard on clutches.

I don't understand why nobody fabs up a packer of a solid axle with UNkeyed hubs and 7-8 rears all filled with water lined up next to each other, freewheeling so there's no skidding of the whole assembly....tow with a 4 wheeler that has flattrack tires on it. More effective than karts, cheaper than a packer car, light enough it doesn't get too far down into the track... If you use an old straightened axle that was bent and some garbage hubs donated from racers, it would almost be free...

I'm not a fan of running it in with karts. Ive also heard that it is hard on clutches.

Agreed. Drivers get impatient, motors start loading up and clutches get hot. When the crew starts letting people pick up the pace the track is almost never ready for full speed and the karts rip the track to pieces with the worst ruts you can imagine. THEN the track seals up and you’re stuck with it for the whole night.

as was said if you are rutting up the track with kart it it to wet to get on, you are finishing it off if done right. they also drug gang of truck tires that was good also at the right time as the water was drying.

Ol' Delmer used to have two cars with old NASCAR slicks on them he used to roll the track with at Dumplin Valley and have us finish it off with karts. that track would be slick as anything and I could barley keep my kart on the path but when that thing was rolled in it was the fastest smoothest track id ever been on. one fella told me he timed me doing an 11 sec lap when he turned us loose one night. I don't really believe that but it makes a good tale. you could hold it wide open around the inside no problem some of the best times if had karting was rolling in that track felt like I was on a limited flyin. man i really miss that track.

I see a lot of tracks going to calcium pellets, Rolling in with trucks ect then calcium at the right time i am hearing timing is everything letting it sit for a little roll that in and finish with a ALL kart ROLL in not a test and tune. Seems effective in the south.

Also tracks like Coleridge speedway will use a sheep's foot , also at Naugle speedway. I know at Coleridge the owner wont tear the track up but a couple of times a year until its cracking. Pretty much gets er smooth and rocks it out.

Charlotte dirt track had a thing posted about after the Last Call it was so dusty they sent soil samples out and found the balance was wrong. DUG it up DEEP and should result in better track conditions. I understand that local karting cannot invest what they did but. What I mean by it is that there is a science to it.

Back