Dirt Track Preparation

You can definitely have a 2 lane dirt track, and have it dry hard packed like asphalt. Ive seen it, raced on it, and won races using the outside lane to pass. It seems to me most track prep is done superficially. The surface is broken up, smoothed out and then watered on top. This makes for a quick prep and ok starting surface, but it drys quickly and then becomes single lane.

In my opinion, and Im am not a expert, nor have I done any track prep in my short life.........The surface needs to be broken down to the smallest chunks possible, 4-8 inches deep. Water multiple times to soak the entire thickness of the broken ground. Maybe turn it over once or twice and water again. Pack one time, water, and repeat until the surface is packed. Then use a drag to smooth the surface. Water as needed to maintain the surface moisture. Once the moisture is " in" the track, it shouldn't take much water on top to maintain it.

Theres a world of other engines we are running in between the AKRA clone and UAS karts that are quite capable of sliding sideways and spinning the tires. We dont do it because it is slower. Is sideways more fun? Heck yes. And surely youve noticed the open karts for a number of years now are on slicks and running much straighter lines than back in the dirt slinging days.

I've heard of people adding things like fabric softener, calcium, and maple syrup to the track. Has anyone heard of adding liquid latex?

I've heard of people adding things like fabric softener, calcium, and maple syrup to the track. Has anyone heard of adding liquid latex?
I've heard lot's of different things, like Lysol, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dish soap, fertilizer, calcium of course , magnesium chloride, but have never heard of liquid latex seems like it would be a mess, at least for awhile.

You have to evaluate WHY they're adding things. Most of the soaps, etc. are deflocculating agents that disperse the water through the soil better by reducing surface tension, etc. Liquid latex is immiscible (doesn't mix with water) and therefore I can't see it being a positive additive...but perhaps it reacts directly with the clay for some benefit? Mag Chloride is dust control, though it and calcium chloride are frowned upon by the EPA now. (My father-in-law's track used old motor oil back in the day....ha!)

You have to evaluate WHY they're adding things. Most of the soaps, etc. are deflocculating agents that disperse the water through the soil better by reducing surface tension, etc. Liquid latex is immiscible (doesn't mix with water) and therefore I can't see it being a positive additive...but perhaps it reacts directly with the clay for some benefit? Mag Chloride is dust control, though it and calcium chloride are frowned upon by the EPA now. (My father-in-law's track used old motor oil back in the day....ha!)
That makes a lot of sense as far as allowing the water soak in. I was thinking the latex could create traction but you are absolutely right about it not mixing with water

I believe we're all swaying from the original topic here. For our backyard track I was finally able to find/purchase one of these at a reasonable price. It's a preseeder, better known as a Harley rake, or a power rake. Mines made by ATI and is unique in that it has a roller in the rear rather than wheels. This is literally the first time I used it this spring after a long winter of snow and rain sitting on a disked surface to soak up the moisture deep. Still learning how to set it to pack better with the roller but a smooth roller should pack this down smooth. My intention during the season is to cut it 2-3" and water. Let it soak. If it needs hit with machine again not as deep, I will... Otherwise, roll it in and go racing.

Run at a track here in Louisiana. I think we have ran 5 races since it reopened. I don't think it has any clay in it. Mostly sand i think. I don't know what the process has been getting it ready. Hot laps last race were ok. Seemed like it had more moisture in 3 & 4 than 1& 2. For the heat race the moisture was gone. Not a lot of dust but most everyone was loose. By the feature it was dark and the track seemed about the same to me. One thing though. It generally starts breaking up and developing holes especially in the turns. Is it because it doesn have enough water in it deep enough to keep from doing this. It is realitivity smooth to start. I don't know how the track person is preparing it.
We fight a losing battle down here with the heat.

Run at a track here in Louisiana. I think we have ran 5 races since it reopened. I don't think it has any clay in it. Mostly sand i think. I don't know what the process has been getting it ready. Hot laps last race were ok. Seemed like it had more moisture in 3 & 4 than 1& 2. For the heat race the moisture was gone. Not a lot of dust but most everyone was loose. By the feature it was dark and the track seemed about the same to me. One thing though. It generally starts breaking up and developing holes especially in the turns. Is it because it doesn have enough water in it deep enough to keep from doing this. It is realitivity smooth to start. I don't know how the track person is preparing it.
We fight a losing battle down here with the heat.
It's not so much the moisture needs to be deeper , it's more so the fact that the moisture doesn't stay longer , which is why adding soap helps because all it does is hold moisture longer , for any track not willing to learn the process , put forth the added time and effort it takes, a Rewater at the right time goes a long way.

I believe they use some type of soap. I just don't think they are getting water down deep enough and after we start running the tracks come apart. Sounds like he needs to go deeper and maybe add more soap. I watched the last race and the nose on some some of the karts were digging in the track in the middle of 3 & 4. You could see the dirt fly.

I believe they use some type of soap. I just don't think they are getting water down deep enough and after we start running the tracks come apart. Sounds like he needs to go deeper and maybe add more soap. I watched the last race and the nose on some some of the karts were digging in the track in the middle of 3 & 4. You could see the dirt fly.
Needs more which would end up slightly deeper, but actually deeper without having more on the surface will only allow it to start chunking out quicker and the chunks will just be bigger and thicker, next time they run tell them to allow 45 additional minutes for run in, and when they think there ready for karts water it again while still driving run in vehicles on it and slurry it up real good, make the surface a muddy mess , keep running it until it goes dull as soon as shine leaves turn it over to the karts to finish it off.
Or as soon as it starts flaking apart take 30 min break go out water surface re run it in put 10 to 15 karts back out till its race ready again.

Needs more which would end up slightly deeper, but actually deeper without having more on the surface will only allow it to start chunking out quicker and the chunks will just be bigger and thicker, next time they run tell them to allow 45 additional minutes for run in, and when they think there ready for karts water it again while still driving run in vehicles on it and slurry it up real good, make the surface a muddy mess , keep running it until it goes dull as soon as shine leaves turn it over to the karts to finish it off.
Or as soon as it starts flaking apart take 30 min break go out water surface re run it in put 10 to 15 karts back out till its race ready again.
Your joking right?

I can see it really is an art to it. They will have to keep trying. In their defense i am sure this is a different surface than a lot of the tracks in the East and up North run on. This particular track is very sandy. Thanks for all the suggestions.
One thing they could do is run with the cones up the the track for hot laps and the heat races then move them back in for the features.

I can see it really is an art to it. They will have to keep trying. In their defense i am sure this is a different surface than a lot of the tracks in the East and up North run on. This particular track is very sandy. Thanks for all the suggestions.
One thing they could do is run with the cones up the the track for hot laps and the heat races then move them back in for the features.
It's not that simple you can only move them up and back down while moisture is still present so it seals tight enough to even have a chance of staying together, keeping them up for hot laps and heats bottom would be to dry and you would have a disaster on your hands .

Hi,
I'm from Romania, there are no dirt tracks here as I know. I was thinking of opening a dirt track for karting. Is there anybody here with enough knowledge about dirt tracks and is willing to give me some advice on how to start and maintain a good track?
Thanks for your time

Hi,
I'm from Romania, there are no dirt tracks here as I know. I was thinking of opening a dirt track for karting. Is there anybody here with enough knowledge about dirt tracks and is willing to give me some advice on how to start and maintain a good track?
Thanks for your time
I'll gladly explain the whole process to you , However it will be much easier per phone conversation 717 712 3437 Ken shoot me a text first please that your the guy wanting info on track preparation so I can identify your number NOT being a solicitor , pretty much anytime when I get your text I'll give you good time .

I'll gladly explain the whole process to you , However it will be much easier per phone conversation 717 712 3437 Ken shoot me a text first please that your the guy wanting info on track preparation so I can identify your number NOT being a solicitor , pretty much anytime when I get your text I'll give you good time .
Thanks, will get in touch as soon as I get better, I'm down with an ugly flu. Do you have whatsapp? Or any other app we can talk over internet? It will be very expensive to call from Romania to the US.

Thanks, will get in touch as soon as I get better, I'm down with an ugly flu. Do you have whatsapp? Or any other app we can talk over internet? It will be very expensive to call from Romania to the US.
Same cost on your end If I call you ? No other app here I'm aware of , I'll check with the younger ones here if they have any app, we can do private message here if need be , Since your down with the flu info here might work out best to help you pass time maybe then you can view it accordingly .
Prayers sent for healing !!

Back