DIY Clone Engine Starter

B&B

So ive heard of people who build their own electric starters for their clones out of an old car starter and some scrap metal laying around their shop. Has anyone on here have any knowledge of doing this? I would like to build my own and not have to spend 200-300 dollars on one from my local kart shop or on the internet. This just seems like a waste of money on something simple that can go to more important kart parts. My biggest concern is what the starter motor comes off of.. ive heard most vehicle starters turn counter clockwise and you cant just reverse the polarity to get it to turn clockwise.. any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,
B&B Racing :cool:

Camry SV21

You will need to pull it apart and change the return spring so it does not throw out and retract the shaft. Easy to do and you will see once it is apart what you need to do to make the shaft stay out, (only one other place to put the spring to make the shaft stay out).

For the shaft to hold the socket I have welded on a 2" long 1/2 X 3/8 socket adaptor onto the drive spline of the starter motor. I then use a 3/8 X 12" socket extension piece with a 3/4 inch socket.

Make sure it is a gear reduction starter, it needs to be for it to work right. There are several that work, Subaru, Volvo, i believe even Honda FWD car starters will work but am not certain on that one. Most small engine repair shops will actually have one for what you need, like the starters that come on some of the big block Briggs and Kohler engines would probably work. The engine repair shop could tell you if it will work for what you are doing or not. Just make sure it spins clockwise and that the shaft doesnt kick out and you should be good to go with any starter you can find that fits those requirements. You can get the small batteries at most cycle shops or cycle repair shops for around $30-50

I used to import low mile Japanese engines and still have a box of about 15 good tested starters kicking around if someone needs one cheap. They are mostly Honda D-series, a couple Subaru and a couple Toyota.

The Honda D series should be perfect for this application and are great reliable starters

Back