DIY one man kart setups

What process do you guys use to setup up your karts when there is no help and you have to do it alone? Setting weights I can see not being too bad. But, specifically wondering about camber, toe and caster?

What process do you guys use to setup up your karts when there is no help and you have to do it alone? Setting weights I can see not being too bad. But, specifically wondering about camber, toe and caster?
Unless there is a significant wreck on the front end we generally set the camber toe and caster at the beginning of the race season then maybe check it once throughout the season. Only reason for checking more than that is if we were touring the country.

I only had to do this once. Fortunately I had notes of what the kart scaled and camber numbers when empty from a previous time on the scales. I wouldn't recommend this as a substitute process but in a pinch it should get you close. As a side note, we scale on the same set of tires every time we're on the scales.

It's best of course to check camber and toe with driver in kart.
Test it sometime however when you have help available and see what camber reads with driver in the kart vs out of kart.
If camber changes by .25 degrees for instance, then set it .25 degrees high or low without driver to compensate accordingly.
This is about best you can do. Different tires and pressures will affect camber differently with driver in kart but you can get it pretty close.

I once piled all my spare lead, 2 cases of water, and anything else heavy i could find in the cart to mimic my weight. Only once!

I mean, I was thinking the same thing. Offer any of your buddies a few beers and have them sit in the seat. They don't have to know anything about it. Just try to find someone about your size. Don't go around asking your buddies how much they weigh, how tall they are, they might get the wrong impression.

"Sit there and drink this...."

Back