DIY Tire resurfacer questions

racerdad

I'm in the beginning stages of making one. I have 2 bench grinders I thought about using. 1 is a large one, 3/4 hp, 450 rpms. The other is smaller, 1/4 hp, 3700ish rpms. Is my research correct that you only need 300-400 rpm? Could I run the big one direct-drive? Or should I go about 8:1 ratio on the smaller one?

If I had to choose between 450 and 3700 RPM I'd choose 450 go direct drive and keep it simple. Cutting tires is enough work I'll admit I bought a tire turner and don't regret it.

Last edited:
I looked at the big one, and it's actually the same rpm. The first number is almost gone. I'm just going to use the small one. Sorry about the confusion

I looked at the big one, and it's actually the same rpm. The first number is almost gone. I'm just going to use the small one. Sorry about the confusion
I was kinda wondering where you found a motor that turns so slow. I don't think they exist. There are only like 2 different rpms or something like that.

In low light I couldn't see the first number. Thought it was very odd. Wish they turned half the rpm, to get down low enough I'm at about 9 or 10:1 ratio. An 18" or 20" pulley is going to be expensive if I can't find a 1" 1/2" shaft for the motor.

I have a way to slow the motor down, a resistor that an electrician gave me. But seems to limit the torque also, and is hard to tune and make work for the application

Back