Do chassis' really matter ?

CodyH00

Just for sake of conversation... do you guys think chassis really matters ? As long as you are on something current like made with in the last 3-5 years does it matter ? We always hear how great this chassis is or that, but let's be honest if any of the top guys sit on a chassis its gonna be fast if it is even close to being built right ergo any of the top chassis are fast. Opinions ?

Your correct pretty much, there are guy's & gals that could make a wheel barrow fast, then there are guy's & gals that will never make anything fast, but one thing you can count on with all the newer stuff is the ones that are always up front is not because of the chassis make, it's because they are or have a better TIRE GUY !!

That's my thoughts exactly. I would like to see one of those guy like knopf mullis nall chavous each take a chassis for one season that isn't one of the top guys or is not well known and race with it. Just to prove to everyone that chassis doesn't matter. It will never happen charger ultramax phantom trick would never let it

I agree with Ken, there's guys that can hook up a shopping cart. But, they're doin' it with tires, and tires. I do feel though, that certain chassis' like certain tracks better. But if you make the chassis happy, and put on the CORRECT set of tires, you can run very competitive. It's not always about the flavor of the week.

Had a buddy running a 16' recon for the last year with his daughter driving. On new cut yellow Vegas, on a strict prep program and it never turned. Not once did the kart actually look decent. Went from one end of the cross weight to the other, 62%-74%.

He switched to a 2010 millennium impulse. Base setup, same tires...won the first weekend out.

Tires could have been wrong for the recon. Just cuz your on a program doesn't mean that program is right for your chassis.

What I'm getting at is tires that work for one kart wont necessarily work for the next or vis versa

We recently ran a 30 lap race where the winner was on softer 11's with Internal very little sign of any wear, 2nd was hard 11's No internal showed more wear, 3rd was 33's that showed the most wear, So ya don't count on what's working on 1 will work for all.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but I think it pertains to the question. If newer chassis are super tire sensitive, is it worth it to spend 2600 on a chassis, then spend about the same or more to find the "perfect" tire? I could just find the chassis that like my tire program and stick with it. At least I can re-sell a chassis for about what I paid for it.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but I think it pertains to the question. If newer chassis are super tire sensitive, is it worth it to spend 2600 on a chassis, then spend about the same or more to find the "perfect" tire? I could just find the chassis that like my tire program and stick with it. At least I can re-sell a chassis for about what I paid for it.
Depends on what your racing ? If local fri and sat night points racing I wouldn't worry about newer, but If series racing then yes newer is worth it.

I would agree with that. Especially if your local Friday Saturday night track has some of your big name guys that show up regularly.

Had a buddy running a 16' recon for the last year with his daughter driving. On new cut yellow Vegas, on a strict prep program and it never turned. Not once did the kart actually look decent. Went from one end of the cross weight to the other, 62%-74%.

He switched to a 2010 millennium impulse. Base setup, same tires...won the first weekend out.

I've had 3 different makes of chassis since I sold my 08 Tempest V2 , been kicking myself in the backside ever since !!

Just for sake of conversation... do you guys think chassis really matters ? As long as you are on something current like made with in the last 3-5 years does it matter ? We always hear how great this chassis is or that, but let's be honest if any of the top guys sit on a chassis its gonna be fast if it is even close to being built right ergo any of the top chassis are fast. Opinions ?
Nope money,money,money..new clutch plates,new tires,valve jobs,piston and rings on the regular..and a crap ton of tire prep.it just takes alot of money and practice.hitting every race possible.some run 2 nights a weekend and three different classes.and the biggest excuse for running 4th is my tires where off.nobody says my tires was on but my chassis setup was off.🤣

Don't go patting yourself on the behind side.

I said it long before you even knew about this site. ... :)

At best all you've ever said about it was it 'can' make a difference. ... :)

Back