Do higher lbs valve springs increase power output?

It takes power to open those springs. There is a place for 10.8 springs (clones run 7000 rpm with them) and higher rpm motors need more spring pressure. I laugh at the posts from the guys running #55 pound springs turning 8000 rpm. Don't believe me? Put an engine with 10.8 springs on the table (no spark plug) and turn the engine over with a wrench. Then put an engine with even #32 pound springs on the bench, turn it over with with the same wrench, and note how much harder it is.

I placed 3rd in a predator race one time and the 2 people in front of me has 22 pound valve springs and got DQ’ed. even if they did have a cheater cam in the motor they don’t need that much spring pressure. I always laugh as you don’t need that much pressure.

I placed 3rd in a predator race one time and the 2 people in front of me has 22 pound valve springs and got DQ’ed. even if they did have a cheater cam in the motor they don’t need that much spring pressure. I always laugh as you don’t need that much pressure.
There was a time when the 18 pound springs were too long to fit on a hemi head without binding and guys used the shorter #22 instead.

Back