do i need to break in new HP cam with 18# springs???

or can i go to 22.... 26# springs RIGHT AWAY??? motor is brand new HEMI with stock valves/retainers... for now, but have stainless valves/retainers ready to go.

motor is together... NO crankshaft end play?.. bad? ok on new motor... it will wear in ? im sure it will but lots/some glitter in the oil?

side bolts torqued to 17 ft/lbs with torque wrench... presumably good torque wrench as it has been used little and always returned to 0. head studs to ~22#, header, stock carb hollowed out with 17mm bit... got into idle jet pocket (epoxied) and fuel needle valve pocket (epoxied with screen door material). low air here @ 3500' so a bigger jet is not necessary, larger carb/more air wud be nice...

how big a carb? 390cc (hard to tune on gas, but good on alcohol), Chikuni in ... 26mm? trying to keep costs down. carb needs to be = to... or LESS THAN the size of intake valve... minus valve stem? so 27mm valve head-valve stem 5mm = 22mm... yes? too much carb makes it lazy at low RPM's? yes?

does the PVL fit the HEMI??? NON hemi? tried to take screw out of magnet to sand and epoxy it in place... cheap/tight screw didnt budge so super glued around it. the magnets break in 2... thru the screw hole. epoxy of magnet seems like a nice idea, cheaper than Billet flywheel that i just cannot afford/justify on $100 engine. even $76 for PVL... if it fits... HEMI??? non hemi???? is kinda high, to me. get 1/4" aluminum plate tween me and the flywheel... $20 on fleabay? yes... frugal, but... po folks have po ways.

how much lift til valves and piston get TOOOO CLOSE n kiss each other... on hemi??? can HEMI do .350" lift? without coil bind/piston 2 valve contact? what is "too close" piston to valve clearance? i read... .060" on... intake? exhaust and .100 on... the other valve? on NON hemi (have both)... probably wont see over ~6500 R's??? i say that but... things happen.

want to do them ONCE and be done with them, never have to open them up again., i hope. going on Coleman 200x bike if i can find one used that is NOT used up and does not cost almost as much as a new one. hemi has billet rod, it was ~.017" in the hole so went with .009" head gasket for ~.027" piston to head clearance on HEMI engine. head ported

Many years ago, a friend of mine build a 327 Chevy race motor. He used a brand-new Crane cam. He did everything right, including using white grease on the cam lobes. When he was almost finished, he couldn't wait, he had to fire it up to see how it sounded. He then turned it off. Apparently this just wiped the white grease off the lobes. At the dragstrip the next weekend, on the 1st run, the cam went flat. The people at Crane told him what he had done wrong. They said he should have run the motor longer to get lube onto the cam. I don't know if they were right, but they should know.

Back