Do they still exist?

The articles of old, words of gold. I have been fortunate enough to have found what I believe to be most everything written by the late great Mr. Birt and feel quite lucky honestly. So now I am going to continue on a quest for any other articles of the flathead anatomy by the few other great builders. So far my list of men are some what short and the pieces they have written are shorter yet. If you could please help me out by either listing someone I have over looked or their writing I would be much obliged. So far here is what I have. E.C. Birt and his most commonly seen pieces which are on the forum. I also have quite a few articles named "The Inside Line" which are pure gold. I also have one or two shorts written by Mr. Joey Padgett, I really enjoyed reading what i found and really hope there are more from him. One I can recall is from the Zoomer cams products and he is talking about valve float. Of course there is the masterpiece Mr. Rivers wrote for us all to enjoy which imo is a priceless relic to the sport, And it's for free. Gotta mention The Bob's 4 cycle GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)on line Technician, Mr. Brian Carlson who has a few reads of his own on facebook that are pure gold. As well as answering the endless amount of questions on here (unless not worth answering) . Hopefully one day if we let him retire he will take the time to write an in depth piece on something really intresting. ;) I'll keep this post updated on what I can find or recall. I hope you all will do the same. Thanks for your time and for putting up with the lllloooonnnnggg post. Later

Unfortunately, I’ll never be able to get my mentor’s in-depth thoughts on paper as he passed away in 1997. RIP Mark Woodburn. If anyone on here knew him you know he was a real innovator that had tons more to bring to the sport but cancer didn’t see it that way. Cherish the moments with your mentor, learn, and write it down. Thankfully, I did take some notes, but not enough.

The articles of old, words of gold. I have been fortunate enough to have found what I believe to be most everything written by the late great Mr. Birt and feel quite lucky honestly. So now I am going to continue on a quest for any other articles of the flathead anatomy by the few other great builders. So far my list of men are some what short and the pieces they have written are shorter yet. If you could please help me out by either listing someone I have over looked or their writing I would be much obliged. So far here is what I have. E.C. Birt and his most commonly seen pieces which are on the forum. I also have quite a few articles named "The Inside Line" which are pure gold. I also have one or two shorts written by Mr. Joey Padgett, I really enjoyed reading what i found and really hope there are more from him. One I can recall is from the Zoomer cams products and he is talking about valve float. Of course there is the masterpiece Mr. Rivers wrote for us all to enjoy which imo is a priceless relic to the sport, And it's for free. Gotta mention The Bob's 4 cycle GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)on line Technician, Mr. Brian Carlson who has a few reads of his own on facebook that are pure gold. As well as answering the endless amount of questions on here (unless not worth answering) . Hopefully one day if we let him retire he will take the time to write an in depth piece on something really intresting. ;) I'll keep this post updated on what I can find or recall. I hope you all will do the same. Thanks for your time and for putting up with the lllloooonnnnggg post. Later
I used to write articles under the title: "Go 4 It" for National Kart New waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.
I don't know if you can find old issues or not anymore -- I have boxes of the magazine here but they're buried somewhere in the shop and no idea if any have my articles in them. You might be able to pull them up online, not sure.
Good luck -- lots of good reading with the guys you mentioned. Some BS too! LOL
I wish I had more time to write, I'd consider a book, but engine customers need to come first. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

glad to see someone remembered Craig.. sure miss my old friend. Spent a ton of time on the phone with him, Jim Stone and Mr. Cramac - Craig Stevens. not to mention Bob Evans..:D

Brian I remember writing articles for NKN and enjoying yours too

Last edited:
Wanna sell it?
Make offer including shipping. I live In Myrtle Beach if anyone close wants it.
Jimmy Glen Book.jpg

i have some EC carb articles from back in the day O THE flathead , i raced F.H. opens at dunns kart track 1986-1993 the great EC built me a HL-355 carb BEST DARN CARB I EVER HAD ! it never let me down ! there is a guy who worked for EC who still does carbs (iHOPE) jon brogden flow fire racing , it has been a few years sence i called him , i hope he is still doing carbs , i want to have him go thru the HL-355 that EC built for my open flatheads , i was also in a club at ec's shop called insiders club i need some LOW pressure fulcrum arm springs for my tillys who has them and whats the part number , what kind of EC articles do you want ? send me a email , perhaps we can do some tradeing of articles DBN

i have some EC carb articles from back in the day O THE flathead , i raced F.H. opens at dunns kart track 1986-1993 the great EC built me a HL-355 carb BEST DARN CARB I EVER HAD ! it never let me down ! there is a guy who worked for EC who still does carbs (iHOPE) jon brogden flow fire racing , it has been a few years sence i called him , i hope he is still doing carbs , i want to have him go thru the HL-355 that EC built for my open flatheads , i was also in a club at ec's shop called insiders club i need some LOW pressure fulcrum arm springs for my tillys who has them and whats the part number , what kind of EC articles do you want ? send me a email , perhaps we can do some tradeing of articles DBN
Anything that isn't so common really. I have a few wka mags with his writings in it. In those he had wrote about past articles as well as articles to come. Though I don't have those articles. I am glad to send you anything that I have on file that you would enjoy. Hope i can help.

Back