DOes anyone see honest benefit from billet sidecovers?

$20-25 worth of "filler" then couple days of work and drying time. Then crossing your fingers that the filler doesnt chip off and cause hundreds of dollars in damage if not destroying your engine... Really? Mr. Jerry no offence but 99.9999% of the time I agree with everything you say or even whisper. This is one of those .00001% of the times I do not. I never have nor ever will tell anyone to put filler or expoxy inside the most flexed and viberated part of an engine. Not saying that you haven't tried it with sucsess nor am I trying to argue but...

Scream, just how long do you think it takes to design a product...?

$20-25 worth of "filler" then couple days of work and drying time. Then crossing your fingers that the filler doesnt chip off and cause hundreds of dollars in damage if not destroying your engine... Really?

Scream, just how long do you think it takes to design a product...?
Allow me too answer your question/challenge in this way. #1: Define the 'product' and what you what it too achieve, how much do you expect it too sale for, and....what is you budget allocation? If you CAN'T answer those questions....then my answer would be "Don't waste 'OUR' time"! BTW...I have 45+yrs of Product/Tool Design Engineering under my belt....and you?

Allow me too answer your question/challenge in this way. #1: Define the 'product' and what you what it too achieve, how much do you expect it too sale for, and....what is you budget allocation? If you CAN'T answer those questions....then my answer would be "Don't waste 'OUR' time"! BTW...I have 45+yrs of Product/Tool Design Engineering under my belt....and you?

#1 the product is to achieve a unit to control block/crank flex that adds strength and durability the engine as a whole.
We expect to sell it for the advertised price of $130
Peoples budget is one of the main things we focus on when designing a product. Performance, price and longevity.
45 years... I'm proud for you.

Jody we were doing this before you were ever born..
Poor man has time my friend..
The only time I had 1 fail as when we didn't do the holes and that was like 25 years ago..
First off I wouldn't do the sump without doing the block..

I'm just sharing things with the poor man.. Not trying to sell a product each time I respond..
What vibration? I just elimanated most all of it...
Its like welding blocks in areas we know that are septable to crack bfore they have a chance to crack...

We both are trying to help people.. I just tend to do it differently.. Buying a Billet Block and Sump Cover is a possitive.. But some can't render out the money all the time..

Don't step over a line unless your capable of defending that position. (old Army story)! I've never stated 'anything' derogatory about ARC!! If Jody is having a Bad day....that's bad timing on my part.

Jody we were doing this before you were ever born..
Poor man has time my friend..
The only time I had 1 fail as when we didn't do the holes and that was like 25 years ago..
First off I wouldn't do the sump without doing the block..

I'm just sharing things with the poor man.. Not trying to sell a product each time I respond..
What vibration? I just elimanated most all of it...
Its like welding blocks in areas we know that are septable to crack bfore they have a chance to crack...

We both are trying to help people.. I just tend to do it differently.. Buying a Billet Block and Sump Cover is a possitive.. But some can't render out the money all the time..

That sounds like something I would do (try), now don't be making fun of me sanding a head!!! LOL

The reasoning behind billet sump covers and billet blocks is to elimanate flex,, deadin the vibration.. Sure adds life to the big HP motors..
Here's a method for the poor man to accomplish this feate.. Not saying is as good as billet but it foresure works in building a great foundation to produce more hp safely..

Use some block filler (Drag Racing Stuff) or Bondo, A /B Epoxy, JB Weld..
Lay your sump cover and block down,, make sure they are as close to level as you can get them. They will need to say here for a few days.
They need to be high enough to be able to get your hands under them later..
Drill aprox (4) 1/16 to 1/8 holes.. One in each cavity of the block and sump cover.. Looking in both you ill see the different cavities seperated by stiffener ridges..
Now with your mixture start ag it to each caitytill its flat level with the top of the ridges... make sure the mixtue is coming through the holes on the bottom side.. Take your finger and smeer each area in circular motion.. This will help LOCK the mixture in place when it dries.. Like bolting it down..
Allow to dry a couple days or more.. You my eneed to do a little clearencing around your cam gear on the sump cover..

Now you have SOUND Bottom end

Jerry is it possible you could post a picture of this, and the 4 areas to drill the holes?

Man I have a lil engine smarts not camera smarts..lol
Just be sure you add a hole in each cavity.. Look on the inside to identify where they are at..
Ridges seperate the cavities..
Make sure a fair amount of expoxy comes through the hole so you can have a smear a area atleast the size of a quarter...

Man I have a lil engine smarts not camera smarts..lol
Just be sure you add a hole in each cavity.. Look on the inside to identify where they are at..
Ridges seperate the cavities..
Make sure a fair amount of expoxy comes through the hole so you can have a smear a area atleast the size of a quarter...
J...have you ever had one of thse 'plugs' come out? Do you think it wud help too put a small ctrsnk relief on the holes from the outside?

According to engine manufacturers its a sump...lol
Noticed I said Engine,, cause motors run on electricity
So many people call the Blower Housing / Shroud a side cover as well as side cover for sump...

Its all in one mans understanding..

Only one I had to come losse was when we weren't doing the holes and that was like 25+ years ago...
One of my friends actually uses a 1/4 bolt through his.. the head is sunk into the material...

Disclaimer here guys... Its worked for me when a customer is pinching pennies and have done some for myself.. My guess is 40 of them in 30 years and one did fail...

According to engine manufacturers its a sump...lol
Noticed I said Engine,, cause motors run on electricity
So many people call the Blower Housing / Shroud a side cover as well as side cover for sump...

Its all in one mans understanding..

Only one I had to come losse was when we weren't doing the holes and that was like 25+ years ago...
One of my friends actually uses a 1/4 bolt through his.. the head is sunk into the material...

Disclaimer here guys... Its worked for me when a customer is pinching pennies and have done some for myself.. My guess is 40 of them in 30 years and one did fail...
"Agreed"....'Motors' don't have 'sumps'! Unless (of course) it's a 'Sump-Pump'...:) Thanks for sharing your 'adventures'!

I know its really a " engine", but where do we get 'engine oil", all I have seen is "motor oil"...LOL. And why do we park in the driveway, and drive on the parkway???

I know its really a " engine", but where do we get 'engine oil", all I have seen is "motor oil"...LOL. And why do we park in the driveway, and drive on the parkway???

I parked on a parkway once , i thought it was the driveway :confused:....................ohh yah thats when i was drinking alot of 100 proof brown stuff.....................:p

Back