Does stagger depend on driving style

So maybe someone can give me some insight....I always seem to be lower on stagger than most ...example...went to king of clay and most were running 1.5 rear stagger and more and I could visually see alot were struggling with tight condition definitely most were turning hard on entry and Apex off ...track was tiny and corners were tight ..but I started at an 1.5 and was way to free on entry...ended up on 1 3/16 and had no push and was able to turn under someone on exit ...this translates to my local tracks also ..I'm usually a strong 1/4 inch less rear stagger than most ....I'm on a Triton now but it was the same way on ultra max inferno....also was that way on slack expect ....just curious if someone knows why

Did you win or were you a front runner only not winning because of circumstances?

No negative thought at all asking. If you did win and are a hot shoe always up front vying for the win, it will change how I see things not being able to watch you race. ... ????????????? Great question and i'm afraid to answer without seeing what others say first. And naturally your response to what's going to be offered.

How i see stagger, what ever amount you need to get the kart turning without overdoing it to the point if scrubbing off alot of speed... trial and error...

What weight class? and if your over since I figure your a big brick layer, how much?

I guess there's big and strong and then small wiry and strong, as with the stagger it all depends?

I run in top 5 most times ...even at bigger shows ...20 plus entries...sometimes circumstantial things happen but I'm definitely competitive most times on track and when I'm not I feel I miss tires some ....I only changed set up one time last year and that was to run a huge track ....most times I barely move wheel on entry or exit ...if I do it's to catch it if it gets free ...I dont fight tight ...and no it's not tight snapping loose or anything

He races 375 lb class, he weighs 180 lb no not racing heavy.

Thank you and because of your answer i'm going to stick my dumb neck out and say i'm now able to EXACTLY describe his situation especially relating to the "King of Clay". ... lol ... well ... here goes.

If i'm right i'll later explain why and I hope I'm correct and get to throw some bull thunkin at it and call it experience. ... :)

You can do what you do for one reason and one reason only. Your able to put more lead on or up towards the left front corner of your kart.

... period and it's 100% correct ! ... :)

Well left side of seat has 3 pound piece ...4 pounds under left front and same under rf of seat ...around 17 pounds on right side of seat and 3 pounds on rear of seat .....right side seat strut 3 3/4 off frame rail and seat is 9 inches off axle

Here's my thought process on it in a nutshell.

One of the things which determines how much or in this case how much less stagger you can use depends on the front tires ability to turn.
Any rotation you do not get from stagger in the back can be made up and must be made up to be fast by increasing your turning ability up front.
It nets out to your on your RR more then other on the track and you need the additional turning ability up front to be able to over come your RR tire wanting to go straight more then others who are using more stagger.
Yes you can turn down coming off because you have the ability to do it because of the additional grip you have on the front tires.
What you see and perceive as the others turning harder on entry is them using their line to tighten the circle trying to accelerate into the corner.
Think of an ice skater spinning and then bringing their arms in to spin faster. There effectively trying to do the same by tightening the high grip entry arc.

If I did ok then what I wrote will seem to fit in.
If not then forget it all because as I like to say this is all just IMHO and ain't necessarily right anyway. ... :)

But in this case i'm thinking i'm doing ok. ... but don't know for sure?

edit: After all the bull i'm going to throw something out there. Forgetting about weight outs and just thunkin about how your going to make your tires work for you, have you ever tried or thought about putting half the equal lead you have up front over to the left?

edit: netting it out again: I think it nets out to your unloading your LR more and can do it because your on less stagger.

Last edited:
If i've screwed things up and ruined your question with my writing effectively hyjacking your great question..

>>>>if needed I have no problem bowing out and deleting my posts and making room for others.<<<<

I'm seeing where I can learn a ton from your question and what others say

you won't offend me i'll be happy to delete my junk. If you want you can pm me to do it.

Heck I appreciate your input...trust me I have been asking around and want the input ...most cant understand the why it is this way some have said being able to run the least amount of stagger and still be able to corner is a good thing but I was just trying to understand why it works for me ...race promoter has alot of knowledge on all this and he has watched me race and doesn't notice anything i do differently but yet getting through corner on lower stagger doesn't cause me corner problems or exit problems...and I have tried higher rear stagger and I become to loose on entry

180#'s: how tall are you?

Tell you why i'm asking. If your tall then you knees are up. I've always figured there no better place to put some weight.
LOL, i'm going to guess it's an advantage to be a short brick layer because you don't have to bend over so far and it would take more constant effort to lift bricks all day. Might save your back some too. ??????????????

This is my theory; the path the two tires are following around the turn are different lengths, if your stagger is not right, the inside tire (it is connected to the outside tire) will be turning too fast or too slow, slipping essentially. Or sliding, depending on how you look it. A rolling tire has more traction than a sliding tire. Fact of life. It's the whole reason for antilock brakes. Lockup the rear brakes and see how fast the rear end catches up with the front end. Not to mention that a sliding tire is a drag on the forward momentum of the kart. With any stagger, you know the inside tire is a drag on forward momentum on the straights , well it's the same thing in the turns, that's why stagger is so important, less drag in the turns. It is a compromise, proper stagger for the turns versus less drag down the straights.

All pretty good points.
Need to keep in mind, best lap times are a product of best series of compromises to complete 1 lap. Stagger is only a single one of many items comprised in said series.
Bottom line, fastest series of compromises for entire race gets you the opportunity to win.
Races are won by lots of different series of compromises.

Back