Don’t get spoofed

DynoDon

There are 2 karting suppliers that are advertising a $30/40 flywheel that is AKRA approved. The way it is worded let’s you to believe it is ok for the clone. IT IS NOT!!! AKRA is working on an introductory engine for the beginner and the flywheel the shops are advertising is for that engine. The flywheel is to light by the AKRA rules and if found on the box stock engines it will be disqualified. Please don’t get spoofed by the “AKRA LEGAL” statement on their site.

Both suppliers are advertising “ now approved by AKRA for the new economy class”. Problem is no one knows anything about an economy class nor does AKRA have one up and going. It is being discussed but nothing in writing.

Someone in AKRA must have leaked something to someone. Seems odd, with all the complaining about too many classes, another class is being developed.

Don- as reputable as the guys are at EC I'd think they either have some bad info or something is amiss here.... Have you reached out to them and asked what is going on here?

I know that AKRA has approved that fly wheel to be sold for the future engine that is going to become available. AKRA has been working on an introductory engine for three years now. I spoke with AKRA and they did inform me that that fly wheel is going to be used on the new Amateur engine. However the way they have it posted can miss lead people who are trying to save money on flywheels that the wheel can be used on the box stock engine and that is not the case. I’m just informing everyone out there to be aware. I don’t go try to correct advertisers type of advertising. I am not happy that the flywheel is going to take place on the new amateur engine because next thing you know it’s going to be mixed in with the stock engines putting more pressure on us as tech inspectors to stay on top of things.

Why would they come out with an approved Amateur engine that will end up with Illegal parts they cannot use when there ready to move up out of that class.

Ken. I don’t have that answer. Sanco, it is considered an economy engine with spec ignition cam pipe head and now apparently flywheel. My understanding is from talking with AKRA on the situation that economy meaning $30 fly wheel versus $80 fly wheel. It will be a sealed engine

We now have an economy engine it's called a predator, and it's working by the way !!

In some parts of the country, perhaps.
There are more than one engine builders working on Predators to the tune of $600+ with the governor still in tact. Twisting the timing gear, detensioning the rings, a nice valve job, and tune on the dyno. In my opinion, the Predator has already gone the way of the clone.
And what happens when the Predator is no longer available as it is replaced with the next latest/greatest engine?
Y'all are making the flathead look more appealing by the day! ;)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

In some parts of the country, perhaps.
There are more than one engine builders working on Predators to the tune of $600+ with the governor still in tact. Twisting the timing gear, detensioning the rings, a nice valve job, and tune on the dyno. In my opinion, the Predator has already gone the way of the clone.
And what happens when the Predator is no longer available as it is replaced with the next latest/greatest engine?
Y'all are making the flathead look more appealing by the day! ;)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Not everywhere, and all they gotta do is keep it stock for economy class, last thing we need is another engine.

I hear ya, Ken, but if there are two karts that show up...one will try his hardest to beat the other. If that means having an engine built up by a professional, then so be it. That's been the M.O. for racers for many many years.
You can start with a $35 engine and it'll still escalate from there. You can "control" some advantages through rules (and enforcement), but you cannot control how much a person is willing to spend.

I hear ya, Ken, but if there are two karts that show up...one will try his hardest to beat the other. If that means having an engine built up by a professional, then so be it. That's been the M.O. for racers for many many years.
You can start with a $35 engine and it'll still escalate from there. You can "control" some advantages through rules (and enforcement), but you cannot control how much a person is willing to spend.
You can if you keep your rule stock out of the box and enforce it, it's working well here If someone would bring a built engine it would be sniffed out in short order and the track would purchase it, pretty simple sooner or later they'll get the hint.

So it's a sealed, spec engine. Sorta like, no exactly like the LO206 that's an excellent piece for economy, but folks dont run it in western pa yet. So if it takes off, thats two more classes to fit in a program. Add a third for tracks welcoming the Rush Series. That should bring classes down to 2 karts per class. Duh.....

Back