Drag Racing Neck Strap

Anyone ever use a drag racing style neck strap to help with neck fatigue?

I've used the style that goes under your left shoulder but by the time the end of the feature gets to half way my head is falling off.

Obviously I understand that gaining strength in the neck muscles would be the best fix but am also looking for other solutions.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_123105.jpg
    IMG_20200907_123105.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 33
I have the same problem . I made my seat more comfortable first off , then cut a thick neck brace in a wedge so it holds my head up more in the back and drops my chin down . I know of several racers using the strap like you showed , but they have it to the front left side and it goes around their arm and pulls the helmet down and to the left .

Never saw a strap positioned like that used in kart racing, nor would I expect it to work if someone tried it. We have seen setups like GClary described, with the strap going from fairly low on the left side of the helmet down under the left armpit area and back up, and they worked fine.

I had the strap attached to the left side of my helmet and under my left arm but it was still a struggle.

Moving the seat up without killing the setup won't be an option.

I thought I had seen a post on here a few years back that someone was using the drag racing setup like above with one end connected to the chin of the helmet and the other to a clip on there belt/pants.

Granted it was my first time back in a kart in 3+ years and first time back in a flat kart in 5+ years. Maybe I just got too spoiled in the champ kart with the halo.

I had the strap attached to the left side of my helmet and under my left arm but it was still a struggle.

Moving the seat up without killing the setup won't be an option.

I thought I had seen a post on here a few years back that someone was using the drag racing setup like above with one end connected to the chin of the helmet and the other to a clip on there belt/pants.

Granted it was my first time back in a kart in 3+ years and first time back in a flat kart in 5+ years. Maybe I just got too spoiled in the champ kart with the halo.

I guess that leaves me with a question: Are you trying to keep your head from being forced back, or the more common (in oval racing) issue of it being forced to the right? The drag racing setup is fine if the problem is the head being snapped back; it won't do anything to help with the head being forced right by cornering forces.

I guess that leaves me with a question: Are you trying to keep your head from being forced back, or the more common (in oval racing) issue of it being forced to the right? The drag racing setup is fine if the problem is the head being snapped back; it won't do anything to help with the head being forced right by cornering forces.
Both, if that's an option. Maybe a strap connected to the lower left chin area would help resolve both issues.

There were multiple guys who simply ran the strap through the face shield opening of the helmet and then connected it to either their pants/belt or belt lock in similar fashion the arm restraints get hooked up in the champ karts.

This must be where the light weight,- high quality helmets shine .
Todd Goodwin suggested neck strength excersise .

)p
Both, if that's an option. Maybe a strap connected to the lower left chin area would help resolve both issues.

There were multiple guys who simply ran the strap through the face shield opening of the helmet and then connected it to either their pants/belt or belt lock in similar fashion the arm restraints get hooked up in the champ karts.

That's only an option if you use two straps, one in front for backward restraint and one on the left and under the arm to reduce pull to the right. For backward motion, running a strap through the face shield opening and hooking it to the lap belt or lap belt lock might be better than nothing, but without obvious (to the user) tension on the strap, I wouldn't depend on it to help much. For that, the drag racing solution is much better, as it has fewer sources for slack and/or stretch in the system. I can attest personally that the drag racing solution works at 8.75 and 140+ mph in the quarter, but properly adjusting the headrest on the seat was a better solution, at least for those of us not down in the AA Fuel Dragster and Funny Car range of acceleration, where you probably need all the help you can get. I can also attest to finding it great to eliminate the drag racing solution in favor of properly adjusting the halo on the seat in the drag car. When running a seat without a halo, you do need other solutions for some problems.

Just wanted to share an update and solution that worked for me. Ended up getting a heavy duty velcro strap that had a swivel attached to the bottom. I looped it around the chin area of my helmet. I attached an s-biner to the swivel and the other end to my belt. This, in addition to the side strap helped with neck fatigue a ton.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_114205.jpg
    IMG_20200921_114205.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
Back