Driving skills

speedwaydesign

It is good that racers can find help on Bob's for anything karting. I have never seen a post on "How can I improve my driving a race kart?" Mostly I have seen everyone hugging the bottom so tight that they look as if they are tied together or bumping their way ahead. No wonder that karting is not a spectator sport. Side by side finishes? Never seen one.
How about a Driving class ----? Given at the local track. Perhaps some of the handling problems are behind the wheel. "Hitting your marks." Really does not mean hitting the closest kart.:)
Is there really any strategy after you have seen the lineup? Ever ask yourself why did I follow him/her for 9 laps? Ask yourself - what could I have done better in my driving tonight? How?
Yes great engines, chassis setups and tires are needed but the driver makes the driver decisions that effect the outcome of the race.

Randy Majors has a post somewhere on the web about steeroids. Great thoughts about the competition and driving accordingly.

Being a racer for quite a while, my best advice is to race me like you want me to race you. Cures lots of problems.

You know it's funny you say that! I hear so many guys say "it's a 1 line track". but when u go to the stands and look there's usually a high line too! But no one sets up for it! Add an extra tooth, brake less and has a lil early... And you can make a high line a fast line!

You know it's funny you say that! I hear so many guys say "it's a 1 line track". but when u go to the stands and look there's usually a high line too! But no one sets up for it! Add an extra tooth, brake less and has a lil early... And you can make a high line a fast line!

hard to do withe the dry ass tracks we race at raced at a few wet tracks and yes 2 grooves makes a fun race ...hate a dry ass dusty race track even more its dangerous some one is gonna always knock you out of lane and then its bye bye

When karts went from open wheel to armored vehicles karting changed dramatically. The argument to keep heavily armored karts is yes there's more bumping now, but over all driver safety has improved and injuries have been reduced.

I think the first five or six kart racing especially down south where bump your way to the front is the norm, should be able to pick their preferred starting position. It would allow the top qualifier who would normally start on the pole to pick and choose maybe starting spot five so by the end of the feature and it's their turn to bump the leader out of the way they would be in line to take the checker.

The kart behind is always faster then the kart ahead and there's no racing logic today which would keep the always faster kart in the back from booting the slug in front out of the way. That's totally more acceptable today then if the slow slug in the front would brake check to keep from being booted. Kart racing ethics of today say and demand that if you can catch it, your entitled to beat on it.

The kart racing innovations needed today are first to expose the rear of each front tire and strengthen tie rod ends, so they can be used as a weapon catapult against overtaking karts. And second get rid of full bumpers moving back to exposed rear tires. And allow bars to be placed behind the driver to flip karts which ride up on rear tires instead of riding up on the driver of the kart their hitting. Keep the noses but expose the back of tires again to ward off the attacks of those fast karts which are always racing from behind.

Back