Drum clutch for jr stock predator

Eric85629

This is the first season I have my 5 year old daughter racing...and she is doing great. Racing on a 1/5th mile dirt oval. I have an outdated Predator chassis with a bone stock predator 212 hemi and the cheap $30 Amazon drum clutch. How long do these cheap clutches last before they start shedding power? Is there another clutch that could give us an advantage over the next few years? What's everyone's opinions and experience?

For your application, I would go with Hilliard Fury Clutch…jmo
Make sure you just do your maintenance on the clutch
Blow it with air, then soak it in some acetone for a little bit then blow it out again with air, take sand paper like 80 grit and rough up inside the drum and shoes so it will grab better, and don’t forget to add a small very small amount of lube on the bushing or the needle bearings
You can also swap out the springs or mix match the springs, like two white springs and two black springs…😉

https://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/infernokart/

Last edited:
Thank you. When I see the words "long lasting, low maintenance" on the Fury clutch, I get happy. It sounds like it does great with grip. How important is the weight of of these clutches? I saw that the Inferno advertises itself as being good for jr cars due to the weight. I ask because there is one other kid in her class that always seems to get a big jump off the green. She catches up after a few laps but it would be nice to keep up on the start

Your current clutch is probably close to wore out .
I too would vote hillard Fury .
If your not changing drivers go with a hillard driver .

2 votes for fury. Next question, our track has a mandatory 4.50 gear rule. Currently I have a 12 tooth front sprocket built into the cheap amazon clutch. The kart weight is 225 pounds minimum & we are between 225 - 235. Should I keep the current set up or switch it around? Her top speed is currently on par or with the other drivers, she gains distance on the corners, & seems to take off kinda slow.

How do clutches act when they get worn? Do cheap & good clutches have the same problems when worn out?

Whichever clutch you choose, opt for one with a drum that accepts Bully drivers. I would rather change just a driver and be able to use the same clutch at different tracks instead of having a drawer full of drums with different tooth counts. I use Stinger clutches and have been able to use it in many situations and' with spring changes' different engines.

We stock the Hilliard Flame and Fury clutches with the Bully conversion drum.
Great clutch package that's easy to work with. Infinitely tune-able and changing springs is much simpler than with other drum clutch brands in my opinion.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I personally would go with the Max Torque Draggin Skin clutch , comes with 4 different sets of springs , weights and 3 driver gears . It has been an absolutely flawless clutch on my lo206 !!

Whichever clutch you choose, opt for one with a drum that accepts Bully drivers. I would rather change just a driver and be able to use the same clutch at different tracks instead of having a drawer full of drums with different tooth counts. I use Stinger clutches and have been able to use it in many situations and' with spring changes' different engines.
Thanks, good advice & another topic I'll look into for a better understanding.

I had a chance to talk to some other guys who have been in karting for a while & they agreed that the Fury is a great choice. Now to look into the bully conversion and different springs

Look in the classified section on here. A few down from the top he has 2 Hilliard clutches for sale that already hav the bully conversion. I’ve bought off of him, and he won’t sell you any junk. He goes by meracer9 on here.

Back