Dual Rotary Valve?

I ran twin rotary valves back in the '70's but then, that was with one mounted on each side. Back then you could get a left hand rotary valve engine and extension shaft with left hand threads. Not today though. :(

I ran twin rotary valves back in the '70's but then, that was with one mounted on each side. Back then you could get a left hand rotary valve engine and extension shaft with left hand threads. Not today though. :(
B-open 2 100 CC rotary's, stock appearing with gas cards, C-open for 2 130 rotary's, full open on fuel. Before the canned silencer, you did not want to stand next to one when they pulled out of that pits.

Well, I guess I should have said for dirt. I have seen many pictures of setups with engines on the right and left side of karts. Was just throwing a question out there. I keep forgetting about the paved Sprint tracks and enduro tracks.

Brian #89

C-open 2 130cc side rotary enduro on twin axle clutch SMC gold where my favorite rides at Road America. Man I sure missed that kart. Mark Dismore of Comet karts built my motors then

How about some pics? We see all sorts of dual setups like side by side pp's, reeds and freight trained 4-strokes. Haven't seen a freight trained rotary setup.

Brian #89

I'd find a set of left hand cases for whatever you choose to use. Mount it as a front engine of a freighttrain setup with the exhaust out the front. Run the rear engine conventionally. Just use an overhead/wrap-around pipe on the front engine. That way both carbs are outboard, no need for a left hand crank or ext. shaft. Run Motoplats with Hegar's belt drivers that attach to the hex of a motoplat rotor. At least, that's how I'd do it. :)

This thread got me thinking... could never decide between my 100cc rotary and the 125cc reed with powervalve.

Screw it, I'll run em both!

Went to 1973 Canadian nat goodwood ont this guy was running c open. With twin rvs with 4 carbs over overhead pipes, He let go of the steering wheel WITH BOTH HANDS WIDE OPEN in traffic reached over both pipes at the same time and tweeked all 4 carbs F IN WILD.

Used to see it all the time, back at Oakland Valley Kart Sprint Track when Sal Noto ran it, 3 guys from LIKA club ran them, awesome lots of noise and speed, sure wish I'd paid more attention back then. Doug Cressi, Chris Beck, Mike Kraemer, and 1 more that I can't remember right now.

Last edited:
Anyone tried putting a twin rotary valve setup together? Can it be done? How would "you" do it?

Brian #89

Come to think of it....... Why not just find a Bridgestone 200cc Dual Twin motorcycle engine (rotary valve) bottom end and slap a pair of Komet or Corsair cylinders on it? That'd have folks scratching their heads. :)

TWIN 87hp Open Alky ROTAX 100cc Rotary's j/s x2 on a Buller Aero here + 3rd backup ROTAX here. Lil' Nelly, likes to win, is very jealous & doesn't play nice nice with other karts. I'm trying to teach her to act like a young lady, so she's serving a time out right now. ; p

Last edited:
Back