Dunlop tires

Karter28

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer.
Did anyone pick up the distribution of Dunlop tires?

Did Vega or Hoosier ever do a cross reference sheet to the Dunlop tires.

I would consider making the switch but could use some direction

Thank you
Eric

What are you currently using? And what class are you running? Personally I'd switch to the Hoosiers. They seem to be easier to get.

Eric: We've been using Hoosiers in your class for years. Hoosier says their R60 compound is roughly the same as Dunlop RH2 which is similar to SL4. We normally use the 4.6/10.5-6 (part number 22460) on front and rear. Those are obviously 6" diameter rims so you would have make that change. There are a few times we've used 5" diameter fronts. Those are the 4.5/10.0-5 (part number 22150) and are available in the R60A or R60B compound which is supposed to be just a bit softer than the R60. I can give you input on rim width too if you need it.
Info about sizes, etc here -> http://hoosiertire.com/assets/Kart for website 8 7 18.pdf
Info about compounds and air pressures, etc. here -> http://hoosiertire.com/images/content/files/kart webs.pdf

I'm lucky I guess. I live 15 minutes from a major Hoosier warehouse/distributor. They usually have what we need in stock and when they don't they get them in a couple of days. I then just drive over and pick them up.

Bruce Peck - Indy

The R60 Hoosiers that Bruce is talking about is what your wanting. You'll want 6" diameter rims in widths of 5, 5.5, and 6 inch. I normally go wider on rim size when I want the kart to free up more. But you could start with 5.5 all the way around or do 5.5 front and 6 rear.

Can you explain how widening the rim size will free up the kart. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

Thanks,

Hoppy

The R60 Hoosiers that Bruce is talking about is what your wanting. You'll want 6" diameter rims in widths of 5, 5.5, and 6 inch. I normally go wider on rim size when I want the kart to free up more. But you could start with 5.5 all the way around or do 5.5 front and 6 rear.

This applies to a sprint enduro with a Briggs Animal. If your running a tag with more power this doesn't really apply well.

When you widen the tire you are reducing the side wall flex, thus reducing the bite of the tire. If you running more power you can run narrower or a 5 inch tire because there should be more bite and you have to power to use that added grip.

If you want the kart to turn more you can put 5 inch diameter tires on the front. If the track is green or cold I'll do 6 inch diameter tires with 5 wide in the front and 5 or 5.5 in the rear. When we go to Mid Ohio that has a ton of grip and you can run used tires all weekend I do 5.5 front and 6 rear.

Back