Dyno’s

Dav

The local shop owner told me he revs the engine to the desired rpm and loads the engine. Is this the norm how dyno works? Do u rev a pro engine to 9800 then load it. Is this a free rev? Like on a kart stand or is there a slight load on the engine as it’s reved up? Before full load is applied.

Seems dangerous to the health of the motor. I suppose you can do it if you have auto load that brings it up to a specified RPM and then loads it back down. I do not think I would want to trust a hydraulic or water brake as they can be tough to program an auto load system that reacts quickly and consistently. Much easier with a DC or Eddy Brake.

The local shop owner told me he revs the engine to the desired rpm and loads the engine. Is this the norm how dyno works? Do u rev a pro engine to 9800 then load it. Is this a free rev? Like on a kart stand or is there a slight load on the engine as it’s reved up? Before full load is applied.
Not really enough info describing the process ...
Could be revving too 3500.
Apply load and throttle till full
Rpm and throttle then add load till its down too 3500 again.

I beieve the 'shop owner' ??? is revving up the engine to a certain rpm range under load. they would do 5500 for a predator, 7100 for an adult clone, and 98-10k for a modified engine. I doubt they are free raving an engine to 98k and dumping a load to it. any clone or stock animal/lo206 would be floating valves before 9k on legal springs.

It doesn't matter if you "pull up" or "pull down." I'm hoping there is load on the engine at whatever rpm he starts at.
Personally, I prefer to make my pulls down. The rpms are more stable, the load and subsequent engine rpm are more stable, etc. It also helps with the inherent stumble that a lot of these engines have at or near peak torque.
From WOT, the more load you throw at it, the more it pulls rpms down. Record measurements on the way down.
Then there are acceleration dynos which are a whole different approach.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com