Dyno 99-3 Setup Issues/help

mattf76

I am in process of setting up the 99-3 dyno cam for my sr. heavy engine looking at 19# spring pressure on exhaust and 20# intake. I've run into a little trouble. Here goes.. I made a bushing that is .750" on the mark that fits the lower spring retainer same as the valve spring would fit. I'm trying to measure my installed height. What I did was I took my bushing and lower retainer and installed it on valve after valve job, lapped and cleaned. I placed my Rix Rocket tech gauges on top and zeroed the indicators over the valves. Now I pushed up on valve tip with screwdriver and read the indicator travel for both intake and exhaust. then added that number to the .750" for the spacer. Is this the correct method without having the installed height caliper. What I come up with was .218 valve lift on exhaust and .208 on the intake. I added those to the .750" for spacer giving me installed height of .968 exhaust and .958 intake. Does this sound about right for an untouched non back faced as stock block..? I am using the Dyno 1.460" spring s that's what they recommended when ordering cam. here is my dilemma. I took the springs and checked them on a calibrated spring tester rimac for low pressure springs. I got 19#@.950" for exhaust and 20#@.910" on intake. Does that seem right for springs? if this is so, my installed heights are already too much for proper pressure without any back facing, I find this hard to believe and am wondering if I did something wrong. Ive double and triple checked and that's what I get. Most every block I've had come in for freshening is cut in spring pocket. Please advise if you can and verify i've done this correctly. or am I to be using a different spring. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Your method for checking installed height is correct, I do howerver think your spring pressure tester is reading low. With the 1.460 springs you would normally see the correct spring pressures in the 1.010 - 1.040 installed height which always required back facing the spring pockets. -- Chuck

Back