Dyno numbers....

Here is the dyno info (from my dyno) on the stocker I took to the dyno challenge.. I hope to figure out how to post this stuff better, as I have the info from the other engines as well...
20160129_192228.jpg

There is a lot of talk going around about what cold have, should have happened.. even posts on Face book about me "whining".. so, I'm gonna put my thoughts on what "could" have happened as well.. Please bear with me as I am not real good on the computer, and just created the Photobucket today. I hope to get the pics better sized..any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just a little info on my build..(and my mistakes)..LOL. I put the engine together and made a easy pull or two.. then the first hard pull the pin broke in the one way clutch on the dyno..it reved way up.. exhaust valve touched the piston and bent it... (I'm talking 11,000+)... Ok, I fixed that.. then I made some pulls.. every pull it lost power in upper rpms.. Check valve springs and its killing them.. I cut the exhaust spring pad deeper and get a white stripe dual on both sides... makes great power, but loses power in upper rpms with each pull.. Ok, check springs..its killing them. So I swap cams (loose .050 lift at the valve and almost 10 degrees duration at .050). Get it running again, it lost upper rpm power of course, but still looks good.. but starts losing power again in upper rpms... then as it get warmer, it will just cut off and on... swap coils.. (swapped carbs several times too) finally just put a regular ARC Flywheel and clone coil.. it never missed a beat then... By now I need to get this done, as I want to take the stocker with me for comparison numbers to my dyno and Sneaks , and it needs to be shipped to Louisiana for a race very soon... So, I did tune the engine, but I ran out of time to get it the best it could be (I will post pics of the dyno pulls with the first cam and how it was when I took it)

That's OK. On my dyno I'm guessing that the same motor would have made around 9 hp. :)

Hydraulic, inertia, water brake, or even squirrel cage fans, IMO each will be different, with the goal being continued improvement.

That's OK. On my dyno I'm guessing that the same motor would have made around 9 hp. :)

Hydraulic, inertia, water brake, or even squirrel cage fans, IMO each will be different, with the goal being continued improvement.
Hhhmmm , A 28% difference That might B a sign that U need a new dyno ...LOL

Congrats to minidragbike, young you put in a good run to. Glad you guys share as much as you do. Sneaks you see them numbers young put up? Wooooo.

The actual number isn't what I'm shooting at here, LOL.. (it showed 9.97 on Brads by the way) I want to show what the engine that I took for the competition made (as it was when I took it) on a pull to peak HP, as I very stupidly, asked Brad to make the first pull to 8000, and then had problems. Then I want to show what it made with the cam I wanted to run (and PVL ignition), but ran out of time to perfect.

So what do we do if we both buy $4-6k dynos from the same place and are still seeing a 20% difference? Just asking.

Hhhmmm , A 28% difference That might B a sign that U need a new dyno ...LOL
Why would I need that? It repeats it's own readings. If it's readings weren't repeatable, I might agree with you.
Since it's only been used for my personal use, I have no reason for a "Marketing Correction Factor."
It's my belief that a competitive clone stocker runs around 10 hp, with my dyno's readings just a tad on the conservative side.
A competitive clone stocker, although blueprinted, is still fairly close to stock specifications, and IMO is not going to make more than 1 hp per cubic inch.

IMO, an interesting test would be to take a single (solidly built) motor and send it around to 10 different places for dyno results, just to see how much the results vary. :)
And I'd bet that each different place would swear by their results.

One thing is all were done at different altitudes,different temperatures and different humidity levels. Would these not make a difference?

So what do we do if we both buy $4-6k dynos from the same place and are still seeing a 20% difference? Just asking.

I'm not really trying to make a big deal on the actual number. I just want to show what the engine was capable of if I had just let you make the pull to peak hp.

Here's a thought.... calibrate your damn dynos lol.
The correction factor is to correct for environmental factors, not badly setup dynos.

Why would I need that? It repeats it's own readings. If it's readings weren't repeatable, I might agree with you.
Since it's only been used for my personal use, I have no reason for a "Marketing Correction Factor."
It's my belief that a competitive clone stocker runs around 10 hp, with my dyno's readings just a tad on the conservative side.
A competitive clone stocker, although blueprinted, is still fairly close to stock specifications, and IMO is not going to make more than 1 hp per cubic inch.

IMO, an interesting test would be to take a single (solidly built) motor and send it around to 10 different places for dyno results, just to see how much the results vary. :)

I agree and disagree...LOL. I agree 10 different places would vary in results. Now as far as power.. lets take a stock predator..it shows 7.1hp on my dyno at 3600... the head flows about 45 to 48cfm max, and the carb flows about 36 by memory (it has a smaller carb than a clone or Hemi, they flow 41ish).. The compression is like 8 something to 1.. Now take the modified Predator that has 13.5 to 1, the head flows 100+cfm, the carb flows 120+... and it makes peak at around 8000.. what power should we expect?

Also, the clone that makes 6.5hp stock at 3600.. that's with a very restrictive muffler, and a very restrictive air filter, and the timing is usually around 18 degrees.. The AKRA legal engine has a good header, air flilter..and timing is around 34 to 38 degrees..it still don't make a lot more power at 3600, but it will breath and make peak a lot higher.

You would need more than one engine to have a more valid and reliable test, along with other factors to control extraneous variables.

Horsepower is a simple mathematic formula . If your system can not properly measure - torque X rpm/5252. Then U don't have a dynometer . U have a machine for measuring gains and losses .

It's like saying "I have a great torque wrench, it reads 30% off though, but I just tighten the bolts until they strip so it's all good" :D

Back