Dyno pump

jayo48

What are some signs of a pump going bad on a dyno? My engines are all of a sudden showing way low on power, 2 that I've fooled with, and 1 that I have touched. The one I havent touched is almost 1 hp off from just the 15th. Or I'm wondering if my load cell is going bad?

Pumps do wear out . Your oil may be at fault also if its been run a lot .
Hose collapse or plugged filter or fittings .

I did change the suction hose cause I thought it was collapsing. that wasnt the problem. If I'm making a lot of pulls the oil will get pretty hot. but that's never effected the pulls because if using the load cell.

What are some signs of a pump going bad on a dyno? My engines are all of a sudden showing way low on power, 2 that I've fooled with, and 1 that I have touched. The one I havent touched is almost 1 hp off from just the 15th. Or I'm wondering if my load cell is going bad?
The load cell in my dyno was very sensitive the ambient temperature. I would calibrate my load cell every time I ran the dyno.

i thought that the hoses binding couldve been a problem. but the run horizontally, and the pump has really no restrictions to rotate, it rotates freely. im going to pull the pump apart and scope it out.

This is a picture of how I calibrated my water break dyno. My software would tell me what the number was from the strain gauge and then I just told the software that number was equal to 16 pounds. Not sure the picture will help you, but the method seems to have given me very good readings.
dyno bracket.jpg

From what i find you need data on the pump from day one and then compare that to current data .
Either flow or torque to turn it ,or output torque vs input torque .
Looks like all that might be more trouble then a new pump .
The only other thing would be an engine used just for testing and calibration purposes .

The method al showed might be the answer to testing the load cell .
If you put10 lbs on the arm it should show 10 or real close .
Simple way to monitor it .

The method al showed might be the answer to testing the load cell .
If you put10 lbs on the arm it should show 10 or real close .
Simple way to monitor it .
If you hang a 10 pound weight, as pictured, the strain gauge will put out an analog signal. My dyno hardware had a analog to digital converter. That digital number could be displayed on the computer. What ever that number was, I could tell the software that that number represented 10 foot-pounds of torque. I then removed the weight. During the run, As that number increased or decreased, the computer would display it as the curve, using that number as a baseline.
Because strain gauges are so sensitive to ambient temperatures, I believe dyno's need to be run in a controlled environment. Lacking that, constant monitoring of the ambient conditions is necessary.

Back