Eating rear sprockets up

br2715

Here lately I have been eating rear sprockets up. I have a 09 phantom phenom. I have checked to make sure the front driver is aligned with the rear sprocket and it is. Is there something I’m over looking? Could it be the chain? Need a new chain? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a worn out chain or to much slack in chain, you should only move the chain about one inch, up/down, also make sure you clean the chain every time, make sure you buy good sprockets... Maintenance is the key to everything...hope this helps you out

Make sure axle isn’t bent and make sure your rear bearings are good

Sounds like a worn out chain or to much slack in chain, you should only move the chain about one inch, up/down, also make sure you clean the chain every time, make sure you buy good sprockets... Maintenance is the key to everything...hope this helps you out

Make sure axle isn’t bent and make sure your rear bearings are good

That’s about how much slack I run in it. I’ll check the axle out. Thanks! I have a spare chain in the tool box, I’ll go ahead and swap it out.
What’s the best brand of sprockets to buy?

Yep, when in doubt replace the chain if you are certain the alignment is spot on. I used Horstman red gears, or the WMS gears, they seem to last the longest. Never been much on the hype of skip tooth and all that jazz..

Does the sprocket wear from the side or do the teeth get pointy?

this is what they looked like. The sharp pointer on was from a couple weekends ago. And the one that is about slick was from this weekend.

Attachments

• BB1F7C64-C668-4130-982A-992A54340760.jpeg
    BB1F7C64-C668-4130-982A-992A54340760.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 159
  • E8D23F98-A512-4CFA-95AF-6B20ECC0D7DC.jpeg
    E8D23F98-A512-4CFA-95AF-6B20ECC0D7DC.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 157
i got a DEAL on some new sprockets, it didn't take long and they looked like yours. ya get what you pay for.

Need to run sprocket guards it looks like to me. Sprocket same diameter as tires? Looks like you ground them off. New chain smaller sprocket. Keep it out of the dirt or pavement.

Take your brand new, never run, chain and lay it out on a flat surface and measure it, end to end. Then stretch it as much as you can and measure it again. Record both values in your log book, just so you don't lose track of it. Run the chain a few races and repeat - you will find that the chain stretches more than before, and, over time, it will keep growing like that, and the wear will start eating sprockets after it grows a bit.

No, I did not do that test all the time, but after doing it with one chain several times and watching the growth, I started treating chain like the expendable item it is, using one quality chain for maybe half a season, no more, then trashing it, and sprocket life improved a bunch.

Yea, theres no way a worn chain ripped the teeth completely off those sprockets like that, you're dragging the ground or got something else going on. Do you run a gear guard? Does it properly extend beyond the OD of your gears?

GOT OIL????? GOT... OIL CAN??? with magic blend of leftover oils in oil cans, u know, that last swallow of oil that didnt fit in the motor so it goes into oil can. 90 wt/ 10/30-10-40, 15-50... auto tranny fluid.... make sure u oil over grass/driveway/sidewalk as the little woman loves oil spots on HER driveway when a piece of cardboard is near at hand or old carpet and cardboard under it.

cheap/soft/sacrificial aluminum sprocket? like AZ brake disc pads that seem to wear fast = lots of brake dust with minimal mileage? to save the disc? i even used grease on chain; yes, a mess, dont wear nice clothes/shoes/boots/shirt when riding after using it as it will sling and stay out of sand for a while. good ol steel sprockets? DID REAL pre-stretched MC chain 420? chain, costs more, but is REAL MC chain. i took chain guard off my mini bike, it will go in trash, easier to oil... what a mess.. replaced with E bay sticker CAUTION: KEEP HANDS N FINGERS AWAY ... but girls love guys with missing fingers... yes? ;)

I've had that exact same problem but with 10t drivers and 219 chain. It's from setting your chain tension too loose. On the top end, from centrifugal force, the chain rides up on the teeth and that's when you get the sprocket wear. You notice how the teeth are bent over, that's why I know, I had the same problem.

Back