Ecotron EFI kits on 460 clone?

KontraztRacing

Thinking about building a vegas cart 460 engine and running one of ecotrons efi kits on it.. do you guys think this will be better then parsons 38mm super BN?

Also want to run it on methanol, not sure if the efi could adjust to that or not ?

Anyone ever try running them ?

Thanks in advanced !

Respectfully.....if you have to post those questions, you are far, far, from being qualified to consider running such a complex fuel system. Stick to carbs.

From the research I have done on them for sportbike applications was not looking good. The software issues a few had with it ended up ending the progress and they whent back to carbs. I can see it if you are going with a turbo but even then you would need custom tunes and they wouldn't have a base to go off of. The kits do a small amount of self tunning, but you have to be in the ball park first. My research was on turbo ninja 250's. I still think if someone worked with it more they might find some gains but how much is your time worth?

Thinking about building a vegas cart 460 engine and running one of ecotrons efi kits on it.. do you guys think this will be better then parsons 38mm super BN?

Also want to run it on methanol, not sure if the efi could adjust to that or not ?

Thanks in advanced !

====================================

Like anything New, there is a Learning Curve & Price to Pay fo it! About any Engine can use EFI, and use about any Fuel with it. Just like Carbs use different Size Jets for different Fuels, EFI just use different Fuel Maps. Ecotrons 400cc-800cc EFI was around $800. EFI on a 2 stroke Hirth can AVG a 1.0gph better than a Carb, so it can PAY for itself over Time. IF you understand Electronics and can Assemble your own ECU from a Parts Kit, Mega Squirt has some kits, Free Tuning Software, and you can Source out many of the parts needed. There is Free Injector Calc to figure what Size your really need. Many Snowmobiles/Bikes/ATV/etc have EFI. On these Small Engines you only need a 28-36mm Throttle body depending CC used. EBay is a good Source for cheap EFI parts.

READ & LOOK Closely at all of Ecotrons and Mega Squirts website Info, and there are a few good Books out there on EFI also. You could put together an EFI for 1/3 the Cost.

Attachments

• Old Skidoo Rotax Single SFS Adapter 2.jpg
    Old Skidoo Rotax Single SFS Adapter 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 49
  • EFI FUEL MAP.jpg
    EFI FUEL MAP.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 48
  • SFSxx 0 1 SFS 40-50mm Body 1 inj.jpg
    SFSxx 0 1 SFS 40-50mm Body 1 inj.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 49

Thanks in advanced !

I have a new Ecotrons Small Engine EFI kit that I would sell for $300. It has never been mounted or used. PM me if you are interested and yes, it does work (I have a more than one). I also have a large (42mm) mechanical 'Hilborn' throttle body (I have an untested pump for it) that was used on a Jawa, a couple of 38mm EFI throttle bodys, and a large (51mm) snowmobile mechanical injection setup. They are also for sale.

Paul is correct. There is a large learning curve for any of these fuel injections, however, they will wake up an engine.

Here is another EFI kit option I just found. Should work with Bigger CC Engines. This kit was for the GY6 Moped Single Cylinder Engines. Figure out your Engines CFM Needs based on Bore & Stroke and Max Rpm you will be using, then use Correct Size Throttle Body for that data.

Example: GX390(389cc). The bigger the CC and the Higher you turn it, the more CFM it needs.

389cc at 75% Volumetric Efficiency 12hp at 3600rpm = 19cfm, at 75% at say 5000rpm = 17hp and 26cfm.
389cc at 80% Volumetric Efficiency 13hp at 3600rpm = 20cfm, at 80% at say 5000rpm = 18hp and 27cfm.
389cc at 85% Volumetric Efficiency 14hp at 3600rpm = 21cfm, at 85% at say 5000rpm = 19hp and 29cfm.
389cc at 90% Volumetric Efficiency 15hp at 3600rpm = 22cfm, at 90% at say 5000rpm = 21hp and 31cfm.
389cc at 95% Volumetric Efficiency 16hp at 3600rpm = 23cfm, at 95% at say 5000rpm = 22hp and 33cfm.

389cc at 100% Volumetric Efficiency at say 7500rpm = 34hp and makes 52cfm.
389cc at 110% Volumetric Efficiency at say 7500rpm = 38hp and makes 57cfm.
389cc at 120% Volumetric Efficiency at say 7500rpm = 41hp and makes 62cfm.

Example: A Vegas Carts 625 (96mm x 86.5mm) 626.3cc.
https://www.vegascarts.com/625cc-23hp-Golf-Cart-Performance-Engine-p/vrx625.htm

626cc at 100% Volumetric Efficiency at say 7500rpm = 55hp and makes 83cfm. Needs a 36mm Carb.

Peak Flow/HP Calc.
https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator3.php

DIY ROLLING WRENCH FUEL INJECTION KIT 49cc-350cc = $419.00
https://www.rollingwrenchdenver.com...roducts/diy-rolling-wrench-fuel-injection-kit

Mukuni Carb Chart.

Attachments

• CFM CARB NUMBERS.jpg
    CFM CARB NUMBERS.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 66
I applaud your enthusiasm, but it doesn't answer any of the original questions from 2016.

The two main benefits of EFI are 1.) being able to precisely tune the fuel and spark at any and all load/RPM ranges of the engine and 2.) being able to use load-based ignition timing. It allows for increasing area under the power curve, but not necessarily by a lot. It all comes at the expense of having to carry more complicated fuel and electrical systems and the steep learning curve when setting up for the first time.

I love EFI, but I also don't think it's the "best" option in all cases.

I'm also not impressed by what I see in the Ecotrons kit. It's pretty scary that they use clear unreinforced fuel tubing on the pressure side.

Also want to run it on methanol, not sure if the efi could adjust to that or not?

The ECU doesn't adjust for it; you tell it what to do. But now you're talking about special and expensive fuel system parts, especially the pump. Leave methanol in a regular fuel injector and it'll be trash in a hurry. You would need something for a flex fuel application and even then I'm not sure if they tolerate straight methanol. E85 would probably be alright.

Not to be mean, but it's like PD said: if you have to ask these questions, you're not ready.

Back