Effective UAS

I dunno, with the weight to engine cc rules, I don't know if there is a clear cut answer...a fairly light driver like yourself could theoretically be really fast with a 2cycle...though the trend right now is many are running 250's & 450's as they want max hp underneath them...

BRC. Hands down. Anything bigger and you’re just bolting on lead to be legal. If you want to go bigger, two stroke 250 on a jackshaft. Both setups are significantly lighter, let you choose where you’re putting your weight and not to mention they are significantly cheaper in the long run and require far less maintenance. 2 strokes are the most efficient when it comes to power to weight ratio and lifespan.

At 175 lbs I think you might need a bigger setup option IMO. I am heavier than you but even when I went down to 185 lbs my 131 stroker Sudam wasn't enough. Consider Seay's drivers on the BRC were very light drivers, way lighter than you. I would get a good 250 or 270. At 175 lbs I doubt you might need to add much weight if any at all with most chassis considering the weight of the radiator and jackshaft, etc. JMO

how much power does one really need? is anyone really successful over 55hp?
Size/shape/condition of tracks you intend to race on should be a big factor on how to answer that question...is 80-90hp drivable on a 1/8mi bullring? Is 40hp enough to keep up on a 1/4 - 1/3 - 3/8mi track with big sweeping corners? And if course, most obvious question...how good of a shoe are you? Personally, I consider myself pretty average, ive ran an open 131 Sudam... it was too much power/acceleration for the small bullrings around my neck of the woods, I switched to a lower hp 125 Sudam and have been having a lot of success so far with...less hp makes it a little easier to drive/control and be smooth...

Something like this!!!!!

PK 250

Attachments

• B72B75A8-B614-4110-9680-D0DA138BEA9A.png
    B72B75A8-B614-4110-9680-D0DA138BEA9A.png
    628.4 KB · Views: 151
BRC is a Canadian Engineering firm run by Riley Will and a couple others...made a big name for themselves in twin cylinder superkart engines, and now with a 500cc conversion for 250 and 300cc KTM's... Great piece of engineering. Available with a balance shaft or without, one is for kart roadracing, the other for short tracks. I think the BRC is the initials of each member, but I could be wrong...

I think the PK is your most user friendly bet. Pipe/carb orientation stays the same as MX, and you can easily stay on gas. Good useable power and the benefits of being caseless.

how much power does one really need? is anyone really successful over 55hp?
You need 70-80 HP to win on the larger tracks against top competition. We run a Bob Berlin 250 on Gas using a 38mm Tillotson Carburator. Basically a YZ250 Cylinder and head. Wiseco Piston and crank. V-Force Reeds. The cases are manufactured in Bobs' garage. Very reliable and lots of HP. Budget is another consideration. Our experience is the smaller engines (125cc-150cc) require more frequent rebuilds and that the parts are more expensive.

Last edited:
Back