egt on kt100

spincycle

wondering what temp range is desired on a mychron egt lead on a superstock kt100 with RLV L4 pipe, walbro wb3a carb on gas and on alcohol...Thx!

Ted Hamilton

helmet painter and racer
As high as you can get it without crossing the peak and falling....ie. it doesn't matter if it's 1100 or 1400, so long as it doesn't rise, then dip back down due to detonation....you want it to keep climbing until the end of the straight, then cool off-throttle for the corner, then repeat... See Al Nunley's posts on the matter from some time ago...

Phiddy

Really depends on how tight the motor is setup. After break in is done I would say if you ran 1250* on gas it would be close, and safe. Once you are familiar with it, tune it closer to that line. Not sure on alky KT's? I would guess 1000* on alky would be also safe. I would also recommend a consistant fuel/oil mix. Never know whats coming out of the local station pump? Buy a top rated race fuel for it, it will maybe save you someday? Oh, and I mount my probes as close to the flange as possible.

spincycle

Im on gas, mixing VP C12 with Burris hi-rev 8oz/gal....there is a fitting on the exhaust manifold for the egt probe....motor was purchased used, really no idea on how tight it was built....thx!

AudiOn19s

does can / pipe / expansion chamber have an effect on EGT?

With 75-80 degree air temps and Spec WKA pipe (SR-Y) we only see low 1100's. I'm afraid to go any leaner because I'm already at the lean end of where the builder told me to be on the carb and I'm afraid to stick a piston looking for every last little bit.

Chris Cooper

Premium User
1250 would be an upper limit - check your plug and header for color. If it's a nice brown color, you're in good shape and you may be able to go higher; just watch the plug and header.

Also, the big advantage of EGT is that you can check to see if you're too lean near clutch engagement. Watch the EX temps - if they drop at clutch engagement, open up the low speed a little.

Phiddy

The real advantage of EGT, it is "real time". Its whats going on now, not 30-45 seconds ago like head temp. Also ambient air temp doesn't affect the reading. The ambient air does affect the mixture or tune though. The Mychron numbers are so small they are hard for me to read underway. When I used a Digatron I could tune the needle and watch the temp change as I turned it. In the photo tuning and watching the gauge.

Attachments