El diablo ?

If your asking if a regular disk clutch with 4 disks will handle it on the output of the jackshaft.

yes it will unless the clutch has a problem to begin with

10 years ago we ran a Horstman MDC on the output of our jackshaft with mini gears on the axle, on our K30
Many then copied us and used it on sudams without a problem so long as they understood clutches.

Good clutches. That said, unless you’re rolling across the scales at 400+, a 4 disk isn’t needed. 4 disks generate and retain more heat. Get a 3 disk from Shannon or a gator from Laukaitus with the thick spacer plates and disks. Black springs with a bolt in every lever.

Im at about 405 total weight, ran a 3 disc on a jackshaft last year, no issues other than it used up friction discs pretty quickly, bought a 4 disc over the winter, gonna try that on the jackshaft this year with a stock 125...

Yes, you should be able to run a 3 or 4 disc dry clutch on a jackshaft for those kind of engines, but be ready to replace the discs very frequently. In the long run much cheaper to run a wet clutch like a Birky on the jackshaft or an axle clutch.

If you’re not running the 60T birky, how big can you go on the secondary output for big tracks before it starts overworking the clutch? Assuming you’re running a 21/50 primary. Could you throw a 21-25 tooth on the secondary to get a lower ratio and not have any issues?

Yes the Birky works off the primary side I run anywhere from a 18 to 21 on normal to open 2stroke stuff and on my 270 2stroke anywhere from 25 to 30 with different springs and weights.It's all about the primary ratio once the lockup is set change oil and forget it. Hope that helps some, talk to Kevin Birky he can set u up. Later Chuck.

Nowadays most Birkys has either a 50 or a 57 on them if I am not wrong. Then Kevin makes adjustments inside the clutch depending on engine you are gonna run. Outside the clutch once set you are not gonna have to touch anything unless you have a n emergency like your clutch needs rebuild and is not engaging as it should, then sometimes you could make it work adjusting the springs from outside but in general as Chuck says just change ATF and ready to go. Mine for the stroker 131 Sudam has a 50/20 primary (20 on engine) and on the secondary I have run everything between an 18 to a 26 depending on track. Very rare to go to a 26, it was a huge oval, and for 18, 19 and 20 it has to be a verry small oval. Otherwise you are gonna be using 21-25 on the secondary with anything between 55 to 70 on rear axle. Only thing Birkys don't like is misalignment. Check your mount/jacshaft is perfectly aligned or you'll start melting belts. Don't ask me how I know, lol.

Back