Electric equivalency

The only problem with a wankle of any kind was fuel efficiency and incomplete fuel burn. Other than that everything rainman says is true. They are also pretty easy to work on yourself.

Chuck, Once again you are correct. I got my years mixed up. Robbie won it on Stoffa's Wankel at least one of the years (08 or 09) before Justin (not sure if he ran the Wankel both years). This was confusing because 2010 at Clay City was the first year it was known as the 'UAS Grand National'. The other years were just called a 'National' ??????

Mr Bob you are the Man does anyone really care lol. Going to be down your way next week a good friend passed away this morning . Stay safe later Chuck

So... did the Wankel get a lot of weight dumped on it because those who used it were good or did the Wankel because it's a Wankel out accelerate 2 and 4 strokes at crucial racing location on the track?

Racers will use them if there is an advantage to use them and not use them if there is not and something cheaper will do as well.
Who's fast UAS or out of the box Box Stock is still about who can get around the track the best, and always will be.

I think I remember being an old fart too racers quit using them because they cost too much and many rumors and statements true or false about their reliability and cost.

Electric should be able to outperform all that's now used on karts and it's just a matter of time until it does..

Paul, looking back on it I still believe we had to up wankel weight but pretty much everyone including me had a knee jerk reaction because we sort of over look that Robbie was that damn good. We put weight on it and then Robbie went out and ran even quicker lap times while Justin was setting the world on fire also.

Hind sight over a decade later I should have blocked out other arguments to add even more weight because I was let in on the secret of why Robbie went through those engines and the correction he made explains why he got faster and it really has nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with driving style.

O k we are all a bunch of old farts I don't want to beat a dead horse but here is what the front page on the Mag says 07 was Bull Dog Ed Schrieflds,08-09 was Yow, 10 was Gilbert, The only one I know for certain on a wankel was Gilbert . Bob I never mentioned Seay winning the National Championship on the GM . Bob either the Mag is wrong or you got the years mixed up hey no big deal lets all get back to racing later Chuck.
They are right, Yow did run a Wankel. Many top drivers drove a Wankel for Stoffa and won because that was the engine to beat. Yes, that "crap" as some say had to be penalized with weight because at one point it was unbeatable. Big or small tracks, it didn't matter. I am not sure but I think Seay also tried the Wankel. As long as it is competitive Chris never had that drama people have about 2 strokes, 4 strokes, Wankel or whatever, neither do I. I love 2 strokes but IMO the Wankel is the best engine i have ever tried or owned and I have owned a bunch, tested a few more for other people here and in Europe, and still have many. I just do not want to have a 500 lb kart when I majorly travel on my own. Seriously, instead of so much talking try an Aixro and then try to hit the same time on a similar kart with a different power plant. Huge advantage as I said is the lack of vibration compared to a piston engine, and for example on a sprint asphalt track much easier to run fast from the very 1st laps than on a KZ which takes a lot of work testing setups. Obviously as I said there is no wish to promote an engine that has run on top 10 seasons without any issues other than replacing an onboard starter Bendix and a spark plug, right?

Ok reread a few of my posts and after all these years maybe I should quit treating it like a national secret. The "achelies heal" that Robbie and Charlie found (and I will guess charlie shared with those he dealt with) is Robbie was a hell of a break dragger going through entry. Don't remember the exacts after all these years but something about heavy break drag while staying on throttle was overstressing the engine and it took a few (3 maybe) before they put 2 and 2 together. Robbie altered his break drag and no more problem and he ended up getting through the corners even faster than his already almost perfect lines

So... did the Wankel get a lot of weight dumped on it because those who used it were good or did the Wankel because it's a Wankel out accelerate 2 and 4 strokes at crucial racing location on the track?

Racers will use them if there is an advantage to use them and not use them if there is not and something cheaper will do as well.
Who's fast UAS or out of the box Box Stock is still about who can get around the track the best, and always will be.

I think I remember being an old fart too racers quit using them because they cost too much and many rumors and statements true or false about their reliability and cost.

Electric should be able to outperform all that's now used on karts and it's just a matter of time until it does..
Paul the unreliability issues are a myth, unless you are unable to check the temps and set the radiator as it should. My Wankel is a proof, as i say 10 years and just replaced the onboard starter Bendix and spark plug, ran on Premium pump gas, 2% oil and only issue you can have is that pipe gets so hot than can even melt the plastic bumper on a sprint if not at the right distance or wrapped. Of course as we who have run it know it is not an engine for enduro-road racing because it is not supposed to be run full throttle for over 10 seconds, but even on an oval you lift enough to prevent that, and on a sprint asphalt track you won't have any straight this monster doesn't cover in 10 second. The GPS on mine read 86 mph in the main straight at CMP sprint kart track, and that was on the wrong gear with old tires, which made me lose a lot of speed coming off the turn before that straight.

Back