Electric start battery

J par

I'm going to use the starter on my new world formula engine and have been just looking on Amazon and places for a battery. The instructions say 12 volt 8 amp.. also an 8 mm cable..
Some of the batteries I'm seeing have little Spade connections that almost don't look compatible with the cable that big?..
I plan on buying a battery tender and I only need 10 or 15 starts at the most per day. Really it's the first start of the day that's the pain sometimes..
Just wonder what everybody is using??
Thank you..

You really want bolt connections .
Cca is more of a concern . Me I would be looking at something like this .
Wire size too small will reduce voltage and start smoking if overused .
No start kart same as no start car . Kicking and fussing .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210109-124159_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210109-124159_Chrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
The other day I was in a shop where they had a starter with a lithium ion battery on it and was really surprised how much lighter it was than starters with conventional batteries. Light enough to warrant the extra money. As far as wiring, I would use 8 gauge if I was trying to start something really high compression or 12 gauge for everything else.

Thank you men. Of course I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.. I would think most if not all do not even use the electric start but I like to be different and I'm stubborn LOL...

When I was at both of the local kart shops they had the little Spade connector type batteries...

There are high temp quantity spade connectors avalible.
The local hardware won't have them . Scooters run them , they also have replacement wires avalible .
I'm sure it would work . How long before trouble is another thing .
The litium ion jump start box would be sweet but the one I have requires some voltage sensing before it will turn on .

There is a winter race tomorrow and I'm going to go on a fact-finding mission LOL I know probably none of the world formulas will have it but I can look at the tag karts...

Last edited:
I just bought a Diehard at Advance Auto for mine. It’s classified as a motorcycle battery. It’s an AGM and was about $100.

Where did you find it and how much$
Amazon... 12v 180 Cca lithium ion one and a half pounds... $78.29...
Plus lithium/led charger for $22...
It got good reviews and one guy said the box was so light he thought he got scammed and there wasn't anything in the box but he opened it up and it was actually that light....

Do you own the older style starter or the mini light starter?
I can get a different starter for the world formula? That's a new one to me but I am new to the all of this so.
It just has the one that still attached to the motor from new, I mean it is new...

I can get a different starter for the world formula? That's a new one to me but I am new to the all of this so.
It just has the one that still attached to the motor from new, I mean it is new...
Sorry i thought you were using a portable starter... i would look up the correct battery for it...

I think Colt sr is posting about types of hand held starters. You mentioned your concern of battery drain mainly from the first fire up with a cold motor that hasn't been started for a while. A couple things that aid in cold starts is that you prime/fill your carbs bowl of fuel by blowing/ pressurizing your fuel tank through the vent tube of the tank, use your lips on the vent line, which should be long enough to easily reach. Don't use an air tank to do it. You will see fuel/air bubbles pass through the fuel pump and go into the carbs inlet. Once it stops moving fuel it is full as the floats needle valve will close to stop the flow. Next know which position is open and closed for the choke lever and then close the choke. Even though you have an on board starter I would use the pull cord to crank it a few times. As soon as you get a pop stop and open the coke lever at least a bit as not to flood the motor. Correct tuning of the motor will make cold and warm starts quicker and easier. I would save your on board starter and battery for use when really needed not so much for pit warming and cold starting.

Do you have any cordless tools? I have started buying milwaukee tools and i am using the batteries on ours. Its not alot lighter but its more compact so you can get it where you want. They are 18v and spins the motor over great on a blue printed world formula. I had a 2.0 battery last through a race night. I now have a 8.0 on it. You can find the adapters with wires on amazon or your milwaukee tool facebook group. The first one i bought off amazon has broken on one side, the other one i order off facebook hasn't showed up yet but he guaranteed it and will send another if it breaks.

Back