ELs in jr classes

CodyH00

I had a thought they other day. Why doesn't maxxis just have all junior classes run ELs ? It seems to me that would make more sense as EL stands for entry level and what are junior classes but entry level ? Also it would cut back on prep cost for families that want to let kids race. That seems to be a trend everyone wants prep gone and think prep hurts the sport because families can't afford to let kids race due to tires. So wouldn't switching to a tire that requires less prep be a good thing. Not to mention they are slower by a little most times which I know at least my wife would like lol for safety reasons.

I'm not sure how well it would catch on if they do like they did with pro classes and run an EL class and a regular tire class

Maxxis has 2-3 races a year, so it wouldnt matter if they did it or not. Still the promoters arent doing it. What about areas where Maxxis arent prevalent?
Several yrs ago, most every kid in Fl were on El tires. The tires dont grip as hard, cost is about the same for the big races, prepping is about the same, but kart control was way off causing more accidents. Parents didnt like the kids crashing all the time.

I had always been told els require less prep. I seem to have been miss informed. I could see where having less grip would cause a problem. As far as areas where maxxis aren't prevalent I don't have an answer for that.

I guess I was more or less trying to start a conversation on lowering cost to start racing without going as far as saying ban prepping. As I am well aware that banning prep would be almost impossible and quite possibly make racing more expensive.

ELs less prep LOL the haves will still out spend on fresh tires, I knew a team that was buying 2 new sets of els a week, so the els are not the answer

That's fair but that argument can be made for any tire that is put out. What I think helps with that is barcode scanning. They can buy as many sets as they like but can only race the sets they scanned.

That's fair but that argument can be made for any tire that is put out. What I think helps with that is barcode scanning. They can buy as many sets as they like but can only race the sets they scanned.
so we scan more sets? new sets every week? we budget 2500.00 a season for tires alone, and we are on the low end of a tire budget
Some just have to get over it, racing is expensive, its not a "Everyone gets a participation trophy" kind of thing, either you pay what it takes or you settle for where your at, just because someone "Wants" to doesnt mean you should.
Seems like all the newer people in the sport want to draw a line where they are competitive and want all the guys that do what it takes to win to takes steps backwards, not going to happen.

Oh no no. Your misunderstanding me I think. I am full well aware that racing cost money and to a certain extent you have to spend to be competitive. So race within your means. I have raced before, I'm by no means experienced though. This is why I only plan on racing local level stuff. Not trying to spin anybody up here. I get it racing cost money.

Also... if you don't have new guys getting in for whatever the reason, they guys that do what it takes will eventually be gone or not enough to keep a sport around.

Just looking for healthy conversation here. Not interested in pessimistic views.

Last edited:
Also... if you don't have new guys getting in for whatever the reason, they guys that do what it takes will eventually be gone or not enough to keep a sport around.
Ive heard this for the last 20 years and it hasnt happened yet.
In our 20 years I have seen a bunch come and go, they think kart racing is fun, and easy.... it is fun, easy its not we work 6 days a week on karts/tires the hard work runs plenty off, then there is the whole "I want it now" crowd who thinks they should win instantly never mind the hard work and knowledge involved , hard work ethic comes easy to most, its the whole time deal with gaining knowledge they dont like, they are the first here wanting to fix kart racing or dummy it down, or claim everyone is cheating.
Ive saw guys that took bill money and paid entry fee's, and ive seen guys go way overboard in hock buying new everything, both disappear shortly.
karting is a self weeding sport, either put your nose to the grind stone, or take the family to the local concession karts every week.
Karting isnt going anywhere its supported by true racers

If I were the I want it now type I wouldn't be continuing this conversation the only reason I stopped before I could learn something myself is because I chose to join the air force and got moved to Arizona. Which I felt was woefully behind as far as quality of kart racing goes. No offense to Arizona. I can tell you now I plan to work at it but you can't tell me that kart counts haven't dropped. It might not go away but it can definitely dwindle down to the few and I don't know of anyone that truly loves a sport that doesn't want it to grow.

If I were the I want it now type I wouldn't be continuing this conversation the only reason I stopped before I could learn something myself is because I chose to join the air force and got moved to Arizona. Which I felt was woefully behind as far as quality of kart racing goes. No offense to Arizona. I can tell you now I plan to work at it but you can't tell me that kart counts haven't dropped. It might not go away but it can definitely dwindle down to the few and I don't know of anyone that truly loves a sport that doesn't want it to grow.
no karting went through a boom in the mid to late 90's early 2000's because of the NASCAR boom, it was crazy the dads that thought their kid was the next Gordon, it has dropped off but its more back to the norm

I guess that makes sense then. Because I grew up during that time so all I saw was the boom and then what I perceived as a fall from grace so to speak. I didnt race as a kid, couldn't afford too. My dad ran mini stock instead. I raced karts back in 2012 and 2013 so not even long enough to really get a grasp of karting. We won some and ran up front a good bit but only in local stuff and we did well in a SA class. I just know that a lot of the people I was racing around have quit with no intention of going back and they are definitely true racers. Been going racing with those guys since before I can remember. Guess they like cars better

Crazy how things can detour on here lol. This original started as an EL in jr classes thread.?

I've been around racing my whole life. Just started the kart deal last year. My opinion is they have too many classes even the big cars and tracks have too many. Make the rules so the predator and clone of about the same HP and weight run together. 10 classes of karts a night is too many. My other deal is the amount of laps, features are short around here, more laps less classes.

I've been around racing my whole life. Just started the kart deal last year. My opinion is they have too many classes even the big cars and tracks have too many. Make the rules so the predator and clone of about the same HP and weight run together. 10 classes of karts a night is too many. My other deal is the amount of laps, features are short around here, more laps less classes.
mixing engines doesnt work its been tried, each engine has a different gripe each week.
features here are 20 laps, 2 controlled pratices, 1 heat each class, and we are finished around 11:30, more laps wont help a slow kart, in fact it makes it more depressing, in the flathead days if you couldnt keep pace you pulled off the track on your own

Yeah I have to say if I find myself alone at the back, or not in the money so to speak with no one beside me to enjoy racing with i pull off. We tried clones and flathead in the same class with flathead getting a weight break it didnt work all it did was allow guys who still had flathead to get on the track without buying a clone but they didnt do well

Back