Enclosed Trailer build from pop-up camper frame.

Something to keep in mind everyone I know that has a trailer with smaller tires keeps spare bearings with them because it seems to not be if but when a bearing will go out. The thing looks really good so far btw.

I used to have that trouble on boat trailers in particular until I started runing bearing buddys on everything they would fit. Haven't roasted a set of bearings in 6 years now, and thats interstate- 250 mile runs to the coast duck hunting.

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions. Hopefully can get the frame of the box done this weekend coming up and get the floor down.
Whats a bearing buddy and where can i find them. Im going to search it now though.

The bearing buddy is basically an endcap with a grease fitting. It allows you to keep the bearings greased rather than having to tear everything apart to repack them. I purchased bearing buddys before at our Tractor Supply.

Something to keep in mind everyone I know that has a trailer with smaller tires keeps spare bearings with them because it seems to not be if but when a bearing will go out. The thing looks really good so far btw.
I have 205 x 14" and I carry spare bearings.

most boat supply shops will have them as well if you don't have something like a tractor supply on your area

You might want to remove the hubs to check to see if the bearings are the same size, the axles with the larger bearing on the inside have a larger load capacity.

This looks good! I may try something similar to this myself -- you've inspired me!
A couple of questions:
1. How did you anchor the metal upright studs to the base chassis?
2. Did you join the metal studs just like you would for a home installation (i.e., with the little screws)?

metal studs with screws to the metal track that is screwed to the frame itself. going to tack weld them when I get done for safety measures.
:)

If you are running down the highway at 70 mph on 17+ in. tires and, your trailer tires are 12,13,14 in. imagine how fast they are going, thats what wears out bearings

Whats a bearing buddy and where can i find them. Im going to search it now though.

The bearing buddy is basically an endcap with a grease fitting. It allows you to keep the bearings greased rather than having to tear everything apart to repack them. I purchased bearing buddys before at our Tractor Supply.

Like he said, it's an endcap with a grease fitting that is spring loaded and lets you fill the cap up. As grease disintegrates it presses more into the bearings. If you look at it every couple months you can tell when you need to add grease by how much spring is showing.

Like he said, it's an endcap with a grease fitting that is spring loaded and lets you fill the cap up. As grease disintegrates it presses more into the bearings. If you look at it every couple months you can tell when you need to add grease by how much spring is showing.

I see, I will be getting some of those. I am changing wheels and tires and bearings when I get it close to being done. Im not gonna chance it with bearing when I can replace them with new ones and have some piece of mind. And i will have a spare set and at least 1 spare wheel and tire.
:)

Little over a 1000 views, I hope I inspired more than just a few of you.

And after mine is done I will be building them for people that dont want to spend the 2000 or 2500 for a new enclosed trailer.

Instead of buying a fancy trailor, I built mine on top of a Snow Bird cargo gondola type trailor using 2 x 4's and plywood, then used the cash to buy a brandy new Parilla Sudam engine

Last edited:
Instead of buying a fancy trailor, I built mine on top of a Snow Bird cargo gondola type trailor using 2 x 4's and plywood, then used the cash to buy a brandy new Parilla Sudam engine

something I read on black Friday , The $1000 TV on sale for $600 you didn't save $400 ... you spent $600

Also, while the load rating of the tires is extremely important, using tires with a higher load capacity can run into the ceiling established by the carrying capacity of the axle itself - make sure you don't exceed either one when the trailer is loaded.

And +10 on the bearing buddy installation - my trailer came with them installed when it was new, 15 years ago. I still have the spare bearings I bought then in the tool box that has the trailer spares, thousands of miles down the road.

Also, while the load rating of the tires is extremely important, using tires with a higher load capacity can run into the ceiling established by the carrying capacity of the axle itself - make sure you don't exceed either one when the trailer is loaded.

And +10 on the bearing buddy installation - my trailer came with them installed when it was new, 15 years ago. I still have the spare bearings I bought then in the tool box that has the trailer spares, thousands of miles down the road.

Good advice. Thank you

Back