engine assembly

Assembly lube is great but keep it out of the crank/bearing journal hole . It could block incoming oil until the motor warms up and it melts.
X2 on blocking the hole

"We use AC delco EOS...[omitted text]...then put a bit in on first start up, and a bit in the second plus third oil change."
I've never tried this; however, I'd be cautious of the amount added to the oil as that the lube may keep the rings from seating during break in. Then again, it may be a non-issue... I've just never tried it.

In my early days of drag racing we put together a 327 Chevy using a regular tappet cam. The cam went flat on our first day at the strip.
We went to the grinder and showed him. “What did you use for assembly lube” “white grease, in large quantities”
As he explained it, we started the engine, (you know, you just can’t wait) it sounded great so we shut it off and finished putting everything back together. “Does that sound about right?” he asked. “Yes” “Well, when you started it up, you wiped the grease off the cam and didn’t give the oil time to replace it.” I don’t know, but that’s what he said.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Pressure-fed engines like that are a lot different than splashers that drench the cam and lifters upon startup. Your slider cam in the Chevy relied mostly on oil flung from the rod journals. A quick startup probably didn't do much of that, probably did wipe-off the lobes, and I would bet it had some healthy springs pushing down on them.

It may work but its not as square

Your flexible/wavy piece of glass and roundy-round lapping method isn't really much better.

Back