engine assembly

Assembly lube is what is actually best for assembly, and that is actually the name of it, engine assembly lube

We use AC delco EOS...put it on all the assembled parts, then put a bit in on first start up, and a bit in the second plus third oil change.

So many kits for sale now everyone thinks they and their whole family can build a motor..you might be able to throw a kit together but their more power to gain from proper clearances and balancing that really helps motor last..most people don't know how to lap rings heck with just the rings you can gain a half or whole HP

So many kits for sale now everyone thinks they and their whole family can build a motor..you might be able to throw a kit together but their more power to gain from proper clearances and balancing that really helps motor last..most people don't know how to lap rings heck with just the rings you can gain a half or whole HP
Care to explain how to lap rings?
I would like to be able to do this. on a kit engine.

Take Emory cloth or sand paper and a mirror for a flat surface lay ring flat and work it flat each side but be sure to check with mic not to cut to much, leave enough for wear also they make a holder for this hope this helps you. madd dawg

You need to get the lapping tool the ring sits in put some lapping compound on a smooth glass and swril around in a circle it the compound stop n check to see if it has any high spots if it has I usually start with a new ring if it does and lap Both side until smooth I do the top ring.....if your new to lapping ring you need the tool don't try to just use your finger the ring must be level just look up on the internet for a video or something I'm pretty sure you can find something I'm not to good at explaining but you will need a piece of glass the tool and lapping compound...

So Johnny if I lap all 3 rings I will get 3 Hp plus how much when i put in the flat-head crank

"welcome to the internet......A new Builder everyday jmho while LMAO"

The guy asked a simple question. Whats up with all the attitude?

Some of these guys are legitimate professional engine builders, you can definitely tell who they are; they're usually humble (because they dont have anything to prove -their work speeks for itself) and would help you without all the sarcasm. And one of the reasons they are successful, is because they know how to treat a customer.

Off soap box.

I hope it was not my post you felt was sarcastic, as I clearly stand by my statement. Simply lapping the rings is not going to gain you 1/2 to 1 horsepower. That is a bold statement, yes it is good practice if allowed but on a single cylinder engine that may get close to 10-12hp a 10% gain by lapping the rings is not realistic.

Assembly lube is great but keep it out of the crank/bearing journal hole . It could block incoming oil until the motor warms up and it melts.

In my early days of drag racing we put together a 327 Chevy using a regular tappet cam. The cam went flat on our first day at the strip.
We went to the grinder and showed him. “What did you use for assembly lube” “white grease, in large quantities”
As he explained it, we started the engine, (you know, you just can’t wait) it sounded great so we shut it off and finished putting everything back together. “Does that sound about right?” he asked. “Yes” “Well, when you started it up, you wiped the grease off the cam and didn’t give the oil time to replace it.” I don’t know, but that’s what he said.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

the moly lube dosent mix well with kart oils as sneaks pointed out .
did one engine with it when I disaaembled it there was still some in there.been a while so can not pin point the location , lets face it there s not really many choices rod or cam thinking rod oil hole. last time for the moly assembly lube.

Kart43, I wasn't referring to you. But that's good information to have. Never thought of lapping the valves...

I apologize for coming off harsh and sissy-like, but its easy for someone to become discouraged to ask questions in fear of getting "made fun of" by someone who has a poor attitude, and if he doesnt ask questions and blows his motor, well, then thats one less person to have one the track. I built a motor from information gathered on this forum (the old one lol) and I love it.
Keep it coming.

Back