Engine builder offered to Deck the head

Again, welding is not allowed per the rules. I recommend to follow the rules and use heli-coils or thread inserts - that's what we use. You can purchase them at most hardware or automotive stores. You do not have to purchase them from us.

Not everyone can weld to the ability of another. If this man's welding is undetectable to the tech man, there will not be an infraction. As a tech man, you can't "assume" or consider the builder/decal when inspecting an engine. You go by what you can absolutely verify before declaring a DQ. If the welding is detectable, it'll likely get called out.

I can all but guarantee you that if welding were legal, then you'd see some real cobbled up messes, and also some very "creative" repairs that modify the shape/size of the port(s) and combustion chamber. I think that's a bridge we don't need to cross at this point. The same reason the OP asked his question about milling cylinder heads. If someone is willing to go through the effort (and expense) to mill a head (within spec) to gain .001-.002" on the combustion chamber depth, don't think things will get any better (or cheaper) if welding were allowed.

If that photo is an example of your work and you can do that for less cost than a new head - I salute you and admire your talent.
I would not claim it legal by the photo alone but must admit it looks pretty good from here.

To my simple mind there is a difference between repair and modification. That is where quantifiable measurement, comparison to known factory part and spirit and intent of a rule applies.
Thank you for the compliment. The head teched as legal as a new out of the box one. Yes, rules say no welding.....also no machining. The owner of this head kept drilling to a bigger size and would have to drill the header flange bigger. There is absolutely no performance gain in repairing this head.....if done right, but you need to be an experienced welder.( me....50 yrs a welder that has welded stuff for NASA) I'm all about saving the racer money, especially now when parts are hard to get and price increases. this keeps people in the sport. Tech is suppose to make sure everything is legal, not look for a reason to DQ someone. Have a great day.

Thank you for the compliment. The head teched as legal as a new out of the box one. Yes, rules say no welding.....also no machining. The owner of this head kept drilling to a bigger size and would have to drill the header flange bigger. There is absolutely no performance gain in repairing this head.....if done right, but you need to be an experienced welder.( me....50 yrs a welder that has welded stuff for NASA) I'm all about saving the racer money, especially now when parts are hard to get and price increases. this keeps people in the sport. Tech is suppose to make sure everything is legal, not look for a reason to DQ someone. Have a great day.
Yes

Absolutely!

As a tech official for more than 40 years, I have seen the spirit and intent philosophy go down the road with both doors open. Sorta like todays kids and their behavior towards authority.
Absolutely! Hence my motto "You are all equally worthless."

harrym said: "Tech is suppose to make sure everything is legal, not look for a reason to DQ someone."
Exactly my attitude.

Last edited:
Kids behavior towards authorty is directly linked to authorities behavior towards them. Especially when those authorities are the almighty Baby Boomer generation. Ill contain myself now thanks.

What is wrong with just heli coil or thread inserts?

Back