Engine building ?

CodyH00

I'm a machinist by trade and a father to 4 boys. The oldest is getting started in kart racing soon, and I know all the others will follow so I have decided to build my own engines since there is no way I can afford to keep 4 karts running with someone else's. The question I have is about a milling setup. I'm pretty sure I have the idea right just want to check
When it comes to boring the cylinder on center with the crank I would assume that I could get the deck of the block level with a fixture of some sort. Then touch off on a rod or the actual crank running through the block, find center of the bore in the other direction and then bore after that ? Am I missing something or is that about it. Also if I were to sleeve a block what kind of press is used ?

That's already under control. Got a copy of nka because that's what we will be running to start. Also have tech tools coming soon so I can do my best to stay with in said rules. Just looking for piece of mind and info more or less. Have no intention of selling motors just building my own. Also don't expect any industry secrets to be given out. Just basic help

Also in post #1 by press I mean how many thousandths of interference fit. I plan on freezing the sleeves and slightly heating the block to install them. If I ever needed too.

That's more along the lines of what I'm after. Also planned on doing more than just clones is why I asked about sleeves

first you can not legally sleeve a clone .
You want the bore square to the crank . then the deck square to that . and the base as well .
not all of which is acceptable per the rule set .

I
That does not include angle or offset bore which is common in flatheads .
as are sleeves .
also open engine's , less rules .

Flat top,
Wasn't really looking to sleeve a clone as I have ran them before and am aware of how cheap the blocks are. However I am interested in building flathead as well which is why I asked about sleeve.

Kart 43,

Not 100 percent sure would really depend on price I guess

You really can't get a wholesale or bulk price until you commit to a quantity. Generally low profit items like these engines and parts get you friend and family price at 10 or more, you might get a 10% break.

The deck is not true. I use an angle plate ( I think it is called an "L" plate) to attach the block. Then I true the block on the mill by indicating in the area of the first 1/4 inch of the cylinder at the bottom. Bore from there. Clones aren't worth the time as they are pretty good from the start but the deck needs to be squared. Flatheads are a different story. You can't legally sleeve a clone or an animal but you can a flathead

The deck is not true. I use an angle plate ( I think it is called an "L" plate) to attach the block. Then I true the block on the mill by indicating in the area of the first 1/4 inch of the cylinder at the bottom. Bore from there. Clones aren't worth the time as they are pretty good from the start but the deck needs to be squared. Flatheads are a different story. You can't legally sleeve a clone or an animal but you can a flathead
I have sleeved an animal block several hundred times.

Back