engine case half sealing?

medusa51

What are most of you guys using to seal your engine cases with? I have used yamabond 4 in years past but now I have heard to use threebond .

Yama bond 4 seems excessive . No doubt it will hold and not leak. A bear too remove though .
Loctite 515 is a good product as is 3m aviation cement .correction (permatex)
Both seal machined surfaces .

Last edited:
Blue Loctite on the bolt threads and 5/16 external star washers made the problem go away for us. Header bolts too.

Just remembered this....Has anybody ever heard of using lengths of silk thread? I was told it is common in getting the old split crankcase Porsche engines from leaking.

Agree with Pete. Unless you need some gasket for clearance but in his case I am sure he would do the work in the cases or crank instead of using the gasket.

Rainman,

Yes... you are correct. I'm not a fan of gaskets between case halves at all -- so would always machine to get the desired width that would fit crank plus endplay.

PM

Permatex red should not be used in contact with gasoline, then again if the halves are flat and machined as Pete stated it will all get pushed out (or in) and not be there anyway...........

Been using Permatex Red for 40 plus years in my stockers and opens ,gas and alki with no problems I guess all my cases are perfect lol hardly later Chuck.

Rainman,

Yes... you are correct. I'm not a fan of gaskets between case halves at all -- so would always machine to get the desired width that would fit crank plus endplay.

PM
Unfortunately not all of us have your skills. That's why they make gaskets, for unskilled dummies like myself, lol.

Back