Engine claim rule in a box stock pred class question.

So who is supporting the local track? China and harbor freight? I know im in the minority but the Animal engine is the best engine for kart racing. 2 years from now everyone will be running the next "CHEAP" engine package and go down the same stupid road again. Let me be clear, The predator is NOT a racing engine and the clone is a poor excuse for one. Worst thing that has happened to kart racing is all of the different cheap engine options trying to make it affordable. I will never ever run a predator or a clone. Flat heads are ok, animals are the best.
I would be happy to go back to the flathead days when there was only one motor and one set of rules. the problem now is 3 sanctioning bodies and the tire companies running the show. NKA, AKRA, WKA, Maxxis, Burris, clone briggs predator etc etc. The builders priced the animal out of competition. now they have priced the clone out . the l206 is already in the builders hands building the head and they now run $1000.00. AKRA and NKA will have to eat each other before anything else happens so far the predator has been an outlier to any sanctioning body and is consuming them all.

1300.00 for a second faster sounds like a bargain. Our last kart track, 1/5 mile, was mid 10 second laps... in a 15 lap main, thats a lap and a half faster... 20 lap a main is a 2 lap difference.

When you see the checks the Chinese are writing to support your track, try and get a picture of it.

Briggs and Stratton has been supporting karting for a long long time.

And, clones more directly displaced flathead, as I recall, not animals

JMO... worth exactly what you paid for it
Show me that check from Briggs first. how has briggs supported karting other than taking a tiller/powerwasher/generator motor painting it silver or orange and calling it a race motor? they don't give my local tracks a dime if they did there would be l206 and animal classes but they don't so we run predator and clone.

They have given lots of tracks jackets, engines, etc.
They have developed genuine racing engine programs to level the playing field while feeding those same engines to upper classes as they wear out, controlling costs to the racer... they've been at it for many years, actively pushing for forward movement in the sport.
We haven't ran any of them for quite a few years, but Briggs is much more supportive to the sport than the Chinese ever have .

Last edited:
So who is supporting the local track? China and harbor freight? I know im in the minority but the Animal engine is the best engine for kart racing. 2 years from now everyone will be running the next "CHEAP" engine package and go down the same stupid road again. Let me be clear, The predator is NOT a racing engine and the clone is a poor excuse for one. Worst thing that has happened to kart racing is all of the different cheap engine options trying to make it affordable. I will never ever run a predator or a clone. Flat heads are ok, animals are the best.
Agree on some things, and though most times nowadays I race 2 strokes or my Wankel Aixro XR50 I miss the old flathead racing, but either them nor the Animals are racing engines.

Last edited:
Agree on some things, andcthough mostctimes nowadays I race 2 strokes or .y Wankel Aixro XR50 I miss the old flathead racing, but either then nor the Animals are racing engines.
I think he was referring to the L206 sealed race engine that is intended to be run out of the box from the factory, ie ground cam, better rod, dual bearing block, etc.

The thread is primarily about the Predator (cheap import industrial replacement engines.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I think he was referring to the L206 sealed race engine that is intended to be run out of the box from the factory, ie ground cam, better rod, dual bearing block, etc.

The thread is primarily about the Predator (cheap import industrial replacement engines.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Yes, but the base for the 206 even with that changes is still an industrial engine never created or intended for racing. I did tried the 206 and liked it for road racing, IMO they have allowed too much work on them compared to how the rules were when 1st released.

a 4 stroke racing engine should have multiple valves, over head cam/s, fuel injection, cross flow head etc etc. a race engine should not have a dished or flat top piston or a fan on the flywheel to keep the motor cool while STATIONARY. any one who thinks Briggs is making anything more 'race' than anything made in china including the Honda the clone is based on is lying to themselves. heck, half the Honda motorcycles are made in Malaysia now.

Except for 100.00 engine that is putting butts in seats and helping keep tracks open, something Briggs cares nothing about.
You do realize Americans make more per unit on clones than the Chinese?
They have given lots of tracks jackets, engines, etc.
They have developed genuine racing engine programs to level the playing field while feeding those same engines to upper classes as they wear out, controlling costs to the racer... they've been at it for many years, actively pushing for forward movement in the sport.
We haven't ran any of them for quite a few years, but Briggs is much more supportive to the sport than the Chinese ever have .

1300.00 for a second faster sounds like a bargain. Our last kart track, 1/5 mile, was mid 10 second laps... in a 15 lap main, thats a lap and a half faster... 20 lap a main is a 2 lap difference.

When you see the checks the Chinese are writing to support your track, try and get a picture of it.

Briggs and Stratton has been supporting karting for a long long time.

And, clones more directly displaced flathead, as I recall, not animals

JMO... worth exactly what you paid for it
No Briggs stopped production on the flathead and tried to force over priced animals on racers, racers have spoken, while the clone has increased in price it is the engine choice for dirt oval all across the country.
Here the animal never took off

Back